4WD light not working

JoshJ04

(1997 TJ, 4.0)

My 4WD light doesn't work. I changed the bulb a few times, changed the 4WD switch, I changed the little plastic socket and nothing! It's still not working. I even changed it to the "4WD FULL TIME" (between the upshift light and the 4wd part time light) and it, unsurprisingly, didn't work.

Now I know when 4WD is engaged and I know that everyone is going to say to just not to worry about it, but it just bothers me that it doesn't work. What should I do? What should I try? Thanks guys.

I don't think the 4wd light on the dash was meant for the tj. I have a 98 and there is no light. When i had a 98 Cherokee it had the 4 wd full and part time light. Same instrument panel different jeep.

Is the connector at the T-case connected?

Yes it is. Just went out and double checked.
I don't think the 4wd light on the dash was meant for the tj. I have a 98 and there is no light. When i had a 98 Cherokee it had the 4 wd full and part time light. Same instrument panel different jeep.

I would think Chrysler would make an effort to make that work.

(1997 TJ, 4.0)

My 4WD light doesn't work. I changed the bulb a few times, changed the 4WD switch, I changed the little plastic socket and nothing! It's still not working. I even changed it to the "4WD FULL TIME" (between the upshift light and the 4wd part time light) and it, unsurprisingly, didn't work.

Now I know when 4WD is engaged and I know that everyone is going to say to just not to worry about it, but it just bothers me that it doesn't work. What should I do? What should I try? Thanks guys.

Simple test is to remove the connector and jumper the 2 terminals on the vehicle side. If the light is illuminate it's the TC switch. My indicator only worked on the third replacement switch. FYI only part time will light up when working properly the Full time is there because the instrument cluster is used for various models.

Reactions: CharlesHS

it would make sence

is there a spot on the cluster that lights up a 4wd light or just the 4 part time and 4 full time ?

I would also test the switch for continuity to see if it is the problem.
There is always the chance that the transfercase switch is not being engaged by the movement of the shifting into 4WD.

it would make sence

is there a spot on the cluster that lights up a 4wd light or just the 4 part time and 4 full time ?

Part Time only since our Jeep's running gear is not designed for Full Time like the Grand Cherokees and other similar vehicles. Try running your Jeep in 4WD on dry pavement and it will become self explanatory.

My 4wd light works just fine in my 97.

I'd check continuity between the dash instrument panel connector and the switch.

Resources section has the FSM and wiring diagrams.

-Mac

Check fuse 10?

IMG20240208183734.jpg

IMG20240208184332.jpg

And G300 is grounded in the left kick panel.

IMG20240208184912.jpg

-Mac

Last edited:
it would make sence

Looking from the back of the gauge cluster, from left to right, UPSHIFT, 4WD FULL TIME, 4WD PART TIME. I was getting annoyed so I just switched the new bulb and socket to the FULL TIME section just to see. I knew it wasn't going to work but I wanted to try everything.

Simple test is to remove the connector and jumper the 2 terminals on the vehicle side. If the light is illuminate it's the TC switch. My indicator only worked on the third replacement switch. FYI only part time will light up when working properly the Full time is there because the instrument cluster is used for various models.

i guess my light doesn't work, i learned something today 😊

You tried to jumper the plug and the light didn't come on? I assume you had the key on when you did the test?

You tried to jumper the plug and the light didn't come on? I assume you had the key on when you did the test?

The WT...white wire should go to ground...the RT connects to the dash light...if you ground it, the dash light should come on or get power.

To be more specific...

My guess is ground B300 in the driver kick panel area is corroded or disconnect...but thena bunch of other stuff wouldn't work.

-Mac

No i don't care if there is 4wd light on ,i thought i was offering help to the person who started the post. Seems like i should have a disclaimer after each post saying "I don't know crap" I use the lever, down is 2wd up is 4wd. if I'm out in the pasture trying to get my steer Angus back in the barn (that i had to do yesterday) I might need 4wd Low.

No i don't care if there is 4wd light on ,i thought i was offering help to the person who started the post. Seems like i should have a disclaimer after each post saying "I don't know crap" I use the lever, down is 2wd up is 4wd. if I'm out in the pasture trying to get my steer Angus back in the barn (that i had to do yesterday) I might need 4wd Low.

Yes, I quoted your post to ask the OP if he did what you suggested.