5.9 V8 speed sensor help

Averytupper

@RangerRick i need some help I have a 5.9 swapped tj I built! Used the 46re tranny and the t case with it, unfortunately the tcase does not have the speed sensor on it so my Jeep is throwing a p0500 code... my thoughts are can I used the speed sensor on my rear 8.8 to send a speed sensor ? And if not. Can I swap a 231d tcase from a 97 with the speed sensor on the tcase to fix my issue ? Please help thank you

@RangerRick i need some help I have a 5.9 swapped tj I built! Used the 46re tranny and the t case with it, unfortunately the tcase does not have the speed sensor on it so my Jeep is throwing a p0500 code... my thoughts are can I used the speed sensor on my rear 8.8 to send a speed sensor ? And if not. Can I swap a 231d tcase from a 97 with the speed sensor on the tcase to fix my issue ? Please help thank you

I don't know about the speed sensor in the 8.8 and if it's possible to make it work.

Yes you can use a NP231 transfer case from a 1997 TJ as long as it had a 4.0. If it came from a 2.5 TJ then no it won't work as it is a 21 spline input shaft. The other thing you need to pay attention to is which input gear the transfer case has. You'll need the long version to reach the seal in the transmission rear output. The other option is to use a TeraFlex extended output seal.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/52254_107.htm

Reactions: Ephry73
Hey @RangerRick can you call me today and talk about it I have some questions I’m only 20 don’t know a whole lot kinda just getting by on this swap. 401-710-1299 I’m working now but if you could text me I’d appreciate it

I don't know about the speed sensor in the 8.8 and if it's possible to make it work.

Yes you can use a NP231 transfer case from a 1997 TJ as long as it had a 4.0. If it came from a 2.5 TJ then no it won't work as it is a 21 spline input shaft. The other thing you need to pay attention to is which input gear the transfer case has. You'll need the long version to reach the seal in the transmission rear output. The other option is to use a TeraFlex extended output seal.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/52254_107.htm
Question, does a 1998 dodge 1500 ecm work with the tcase speed sensor ? I need to figure that part out

Question, does a 1998 dodge 1500 ecm work with the tcase speed sensor ? I need to figure that part out

As far as I know yes it will work with the speed sensor. I have a STaK's transfer case and it used the Rubicon style speed sensor & the PCM I have works with it. On top of this I don't think I've ever read about anyone having issues with the PCM not being able to read the speed sensor in the V-8 swap thread over on JeepForum.

Magnum V-8 swap thread. It is 198 pages long but there is a lot of good information in it.

RangerRick moved last year and has been very busy with a CJ build so it might be a while before he replies.

Hey @RangerRick can you call me today and talk about it I have some questions I’m only 20 don’t know a whole lot kinda just getting by on this swap. 401-710-1299 I’m working now but if you could text me I’d appreciate it
FYI, I haven’t seen @RangerRick on here for quite a long time.

Reactions: Wildman
Do you still have your original 231J? If so, it would be fairly easy to get the VSS, 5v+, and K4 circuits run back there.

Reactions: Wildman
As far as I know yes it will work with the speed sensor. I have a STaK's transfer case and it used the Rubicon style speed sensor & the PCM I have works with it. On top of this I don't think I've ever read about anyone having issues with the PCM not being able to read the speed sensor in the V-8 swap thread over on JeepForum.

Magnum V-8 swap thread. It is 198 pages long but there is a lot of good information in it.

RangerRick moved last year and has been very busy with a CJ build so it might be a while before he replies.
Okay thank you, I will read that thread did you v8 swap magnum too?

Okay thank you, I will read that thread did you v8 swap magnum too?

Yes I had a 5.2 in my TJ and am now swapping in a 5.9 with a stroker kit making it a 6.7.

If you have the NP231 that was in your Jeep before you did the swap you can use it as long as it came from behind a 4.0. If there was a 2.5 (4 cyl) that t-case won't work unless you change the input gear of the t-case because if it's from a 4 cyl it will be a 21 spline and you need a 23 spline which is what comes behind a 4.0 (6 cyl).

Like use the tcase from the 231j or just steal the sensor ?

You'd want to use the complete t-case as long at it came from behind a 4.0 (6 cyl) engine.

Reactions: pc1p
Yes I had a 5.2 in my TJ and am now swapping in a 5.9 with a stroker kit making it a 6.7.

If you have the NP231 that was in your Jeep before you did the swap you can use it as long as it came from behind a 4.0. If there was a 2.5 (4 cyl) that t-case won't work unless you change the input gear of the t-case because if it's from a 4 cyl it will be a 21 spline and you need a 23 spline which is what comes behind a 4.0 (6 cyl).

You'd want to use the complete t-case as long at it came from behind a 4.0 (6 cyl) engine.
Mine was the 4.0 so it would work, so as long as I have the tcase with the sensor it will work? I tried to just plug in the vss but it didn’t fix the code, think it actually needs to be hooked into a tcase to work :/

You can text me 401-710-1299 ? so i can call you and pick ur brain after work

If you tripped the code it will not clear by itself...

Is your speedo working?

You have to use a 1998-2000 PCM. The 1997 PCM won't make your gauges work and in 2001 they switched to a PCI bus. So only if your TJ is newer than 2001 can you use a PCM from those model years. 2001-2006 or 1997-200 TJ but like I said the Dodge PCM won't talk to your dash if it's a 1997 PCM. It will run and drive but no gauges.

I have a 1998-99 PCM in my TJ.

You have to use a 1998-2000 PCM. The 1997 PCM won't make your gauges work and in 2001 they switched to a PCI bus. So only if your TJ is newer than 2001 can you use a PCM from those model years. 2001-2006 or 1997-200 TJ but like I said the Dodge PCM won't talk to your dash if it's a 1997 PCM. It will run and drive but no gauges.

I have a 1998-99 PCM in my TJ.
It does talk already cause my Jeep is a 99 and the pcm is a 98, but if I put in the 231j tcase it will fix my Speedo not working ?

It does talk already cause my Jeep is a 99 and the pcm is a 98, but if I put in the 231j tcase it will fix my Speedo not working ?

Yes it should fix that issue. The PCM needs both the input from the transmission and the transfer case from what I understand. But to make you speedo work it need that signal from the t-case.

I understand that your dash is working I was just trying to explain what PCM's work with which TJ's