5.9 V8 speed sensor help

Yes it should fix that issue. The PCM needs both the input from the transmission and the transfer case from what I understand. But to make you speedo work it need that signal from the t-case.

I understand that your dash is working I was just trying to explain what PCM's work with which TJ's
Makes sense I’ll swap tcase and update later this week thank you

Reactions: Wildman
Yes it should fix that issue. The PCM needs both the input from the transmission and the transfer case from what I understand. But to make you speedo work it need that signal from the t-case.

I understand that your dash is working I was just trying to explain what PCM's work with which TJ's
Hey so I have a 2002 5.9 and 46re tranny some people are telling me if i put a 231 tj tcase in it for the speed sensor connection that it won’t shift correctly... is this true ?

Hey so I have a 2002 5.9 and 46re tranny some people are telling me if i put a 231 tj tcase in it for the speed sensor connection that it won’t shift correctly... is this true ?

From everything I have read and what I know I do not think you'll have any issues. Are the people telling you this experienced with this swap? From what I know the speed sensor on the transmission sends it's signal to the PCM & the speed sensor on the t-case sends it's signal to the PCM for the dash. This is how it's operation was explained to me.

In 1998-98.5, Dodge eliminated the VSS from the t-case and used the output shaft speed sensor from the transmission for ECM input, speedo and cruise functionality. This is all communicated to the dash via the CCD twisted pairs.

This means if you used the 98+ harness, you wouldn't have a VSS plug to connect. I'm not sure what you're plugging it into...

Note that 1998 was the transition year and I just recently helped a person with a 1998 Ram harness/ECM that had a mix of changes that we had to make work with his 97 ECM (his was going into a YJ, so he needed a pre-CCD harness and ECM). This is why I asked how the harness was integrated with the Jeep harness. It isn't uncommon for people to utilize the TJ harness and then extend and add the necessary #7 and #8 injector wires. Doing so works, in theory, but doesn't take into account the ECM pinout differences (among some other items).

From everything I have read and what I know I do not think you'll have any issues. Are the people telling you this experienced with this swap? From what I know the speed sensor on the transmission sends it's signal to the PCM & the speed sensor on the t-case sends it's signal to the PCM for the dash. This is how it's operation was explained to me.
No people that are saying this are not people that have swapped

Question, does a 1998 dodge 1500 ecm work with the tcase speed sensor ? I need to figure that part out
Yes
I used a 1998 Dodge 1500 ECM that had no security and it worked beautifully with my 1997 TJ dash.

The 1997 ECM would not run the gauges and it is a known issue so 1998 & 1999 works.

(sorry for the delay on responding and YES I am doing another CJ Diesel swap. If we had a siter site on here for CJ's I would chronicle the build there.)

Cheers everyone! Yes we are doing well having moved and situated in the new digs.....

RR

Hmmmm..... I may Chrono the build over on the YJ sister site because YJ's are similar and most of the tech is the same. Actually the ultimate is a YJ with a CJ front end grafted and a CJ dash replacement..... That is the way I would go if I had a YJ Wrangler again.

Actually I could even do it over here because the TJ is similar also but don't know if anyone is interested in Diesel. I have posted a little on the Diesel TJ forum but most of the conversions are done with the ISB or ECM controlled Cummins for emissions reasons in testing states that require tests done on all 1998 and up Diesel vehicles like Kalifornia.

NOTE: I have just been notified AGAIN of.....

The ownership of the V8 TJ I built has changed AGAIN..... Actually One has changed twice, the other, (still an ongoing project) has changed once.

Since I sold it, she's changed hands now twice. Not because of the V8 but because of life changes in her owners. Fielding questions on what's been done even though it came with a binder full of indexed info.

Go figure.

RR

Yes
I used a 1998 Dodge 1500 ECM that had no security and it worked beautifully with my 1997 TJ dash.

The 1997 ECM would not run the gauges and it is a known issue so 1998 & 1999 works.

(sorry for the delay on responding and YES I am doing another CJ Diesel swap. If we had a siter site on here for CJ's I would chronicle the build there.)

Cheers everyone! Yes we are doing well having moved and situated in the new digs.....

RR
I am using the 1998 ram 1500 and the 1998 ram 1500 tcase with the vss on the output shaft. But I still have the code, any thoughts of what to do? I used the Jeep vss in the output shaft and the connector

In 1998-98.5, Dodge eliminated the VSS from the t-case and used the output shaft speed sensor from the transmission for ECM input, speedo and cruise functionality. This is all communicated to the dash via the CCD twisted pairs.

This means if you used the 98+ harness, you wouldn't have a VSS plug to connect. I'm not sure what you're plugging it into...

Note that 1998 was the transition year and I just recently helped a person with a 1998 Ram harness/ECM that had a mix of changes that we had to make work with his 97 ECM (his was going into a YJ, so he needed a pre-CCD harness and ECM). This is why I asked how the harness was integrated with the Jeep harness. It isn't uncommon for people to utilize the TJ harness and then extend and add the necessary #7 and #8 injector wires. Doing so works, in theory, but doesn't take into account the ECM pinout differences (among some other items).
I am using the 1998 ram 1500 and the 1998 ram 1500 tcase with the vss on the output shaft. But I still have the code, any thoughts of what to do? I used Jeep the wiring, added what was needed and added pin outs that were needed

I am using the 1998 ram 1500 and the 1998 ram 1500 tcase with the vss on the output shaft. But I still have the code, any thoughts of what to do? I used Jeep the wiring, added what was needed and added pin outs that were needed
Found the issue, 5v power wasn’t there ! Everything is working !

Reactions: pc1p