8.8 Axle Problem: Seeking Help

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
Hey, all. I'm posting this in the "Off Topic" section, as this 8.8 axle is not under a TJ, but a Lincoln Town Car. Still, maybe advice/suggestions could be transferred over to an 8.8 (or even a Dana 35) that's being run in a TJ, so here goes...

My '03 Town Car is one of the ones that fell victim to a batch of "soft" axles. The outer axle bearings have worn grooves deep into the axle shafts, with the driver's side being the worst. I bought new Yukon 1541H axles and Standard Gear bearing/seal kits to do the repair. The passenger side axle came out without a hitch, but the driver's side will not push in far enough to allow me to remove the C-clip. This is the second time I've attempted this, but each has ended in an inability to get the axle pushed in far enough. As a result, I've had to reassemble everything with the damaged parts, and return the vehicle to its parking space (street parking) out front. I cannot have the car disabled beyond the weekend (I'm working on it in front of my garage, with its driver's side rear quarter protruding into the alley).

The driver's axle moves up and down (at the flange) a good .250", so that's a huge indicator that the groove worn into the axle is substantial. With assistance from my son, we attempted to jockey the axle into a "center" position so as to lift the groove up off of the roller bearings, all while keeping a constant pressure on pushing the axle inward. Alas, we did not succeed. I then attempted some healthy smacks with a large-ish hammer, but again, no success. At that point, I had little choice but to reassemble it and call it a day.

I've scoured YouTube, and searched forums for information and advice. One forum had no less than three members all give the same advice (for a situation exactly like mine) where they recommended loosening the carrier bearing caps, removing the carrier bearing shim from the offending side, and then sliding the entire carrier over for more clearance. That would be brilliant, if not for the fact that the carrier bearing shim is a fully enclosed loop with an axle passing through it. How in the hell are you supposed to remove it? Remember, three members suggested that to the guy with the same problem I'm having.

I briefly considered destroying the C-clip, or even the end of the axle, in an attempt to remove the axle, but quickly thought better of it. Even if I successfully removed the offending axle, what if there is something going on to where I go to install the new axle, and find that I cannot expose enough of the groove to get the new C-clip installed? I'd be properly screwed!

So, I come to you all for ideas and suggestions. What could be causing this? After buttoning it all back up, I considered that perhaps I had the axle rotated in such a manner as to line up the back (head) of one of the lug/wheel studs in such a way that it was hitting on something within the parking brake mechanism. I'll have to investigate that further. Is it possible that the spider gear that the axle is passing through has somehow moved inward (toward the cross pin), thereby not allowing the C-clip to clear it when pushed in?

For what it's worth, while I basically understand the way the diffs are set up (in the simplest of terms), I have no real experience with them. I do know that my spider gears are fairly "polished" at the contact points, but there are no sharp edges, ledges, pits, or damage of that nature. I also know that the rear end made no strange noises when traveling down the road, regardless of speed, so I'm inclined to believe that there was no problem with the spider gears. If the one spider gear has somehow moved inward, wouldn't that have created a noise?

Really hoping that @ac_ or maybe @Rob5589 can help me out with this one, as well as anyone else with any experience with the 8.8 rear end. Sorry this went on so long, but I wanted to get as much detail as I could out there, to better increase the chances of finding a solution. If I cannot resolve this on my own, I may be forced to have it hauled to a shop, which I really don't want to do.

Thanks, all.
Regards,
Squatch

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Squatch,

I wish I had an answer for you. If you had a high performance engine and had been doing a lot of hard launches I suppose you could have twisted the splines on the axle enough that it could not be pushed through the spider. But given that it is a town car I doubt that you have had it down at the local drag strip. But if the axles are soft as you mention that is the only thing I can think of.
Best of luck as you work through it.

B

Squatch,

I wish I had an answer for you. If you had a high performance engine and had been doing a lot of hard launches I suppose you could have twisted the splines on the axle enough that it could not be pushed through the spider. But given that it is a town car I doubt that you have had it down at the local drag strip. But if the axles are soft as you mention that is the only thing I can think of.
Best of luck as you work through it.

B
Thank you, Chief. I have to admit, I wondered if it was even possible for the splines to have a twist in them. If they do, it's not enough that it has seized the axle to the splines in the spider gear (?) (I'll admit to not really knowing where those splines are located :confused:). Anyways, the point is that I can actually see the shaft moving inward toward the center of the diff, just not enough. :(

The axle is likely getting hung up due to the bearing catching the groove in it. A big hammer and/or a pry bar that you can fit in the c clip groove and pry it in enough to remove the clip should work.

I had tried prying with a screwdriver, only because I wasn't entirely sure if I should even be prying on it at all. If I recall, a prybar would end up using the spider gear as a fulcrum, would it not? If so, will that be okay, or would I run the risk of damaging the gear?

You won't hurt the side gear prying on it. It may help to have one person on the axle end moving it around while the other prys on the grooved end. When the axle gets grooved badly they can be a real pita to remove.

Reactions: Squatch
You won't hurt the side gear prying on it. It may help to have one person on the axle end moving it around while the other prys on the grooved end. When the axle gets grooved badly they can be a real pita to remove.
Okay, then. I'll give it another go. Thank you very much, Chief. (y)

The axle is likely getting hung up due to the bearing catching the groove in it. A big hammer and/or a pry bar that you can fit in the c clip groove and pry it in enough to remove the clip should work.
Pay attention to this part. That is likely the problem. You have to have the groove perfectly centered in all directions to slide through the bearing or it won't move inward since it is hung up on the edge of the groove. It is also possible that there is a twist at the splines and if that is the case, your life with this problem will suck donkey balls. It would mean that not only do you have to have the axle centered, you have to keep it there while you beat the crap out of the end of the shaft to move it inward.

Similar issue on the 35 shaft in this thread. You can see the twist in the pics that show how hard it would be to push the axle inward to release the c-clip. There is also a pic of the groove that shows why it likely won't move inward until it is lined up with the hole in the bearing very nicely.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/broken-axle-shaft.21883/

If you can exert some steady pressure while you are pushing in, you may be able to feel when the shaft is lined up and ready to go inward. Big if on that one since I've never actually done it. I'd have found a way to cut the end of the axle off by now so I could see what is going on.

Pay attention to this part. That is likely the problem. You have to have the groove perfectly centered in all directions to slide through the bearing or it won't move inward since it is hung up on the edge of the groove. It is also possible that there is a twist at the splines and if that is the case, your life with this problem will suck donkey balls. It would mean that not only do you have to have the axle centered, you have to keep it there while you beat the crap out of the end of the shaft to move it inward.

Similar issue on the 35 shaft in this thread. You can see the twist in the pics that show how hard it would be to push the axle inward to release the c-clip. There is also a pic of the groove that shows why it likely won't move inward until it is lined up with the hole in the bearing very nicely.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/broken-axle-shaft.21883/

If you can exert some steady pressure while you are pushing in, you may be able to feel when the shaft is lined up and ready to go inward. Big if on that one since I've never actually done it. I'd have found a way to cut the end of the axle off by now so I could see what is going on.
Ugh. I appreciate the insight, @mrblaine. I was thinking about it last night, and wondering if there was a way I could come up with some kind of a wooden jig or stand where I could support the axle flange, and reposition it in such a way as to find the center. But while it sounds good in theory, that might just be making it more complicated than it need be. While I was trying yesterday to get the axle centered enough to pass the grooved section through the bearing, I wasn't completely focused on paying attention to the subtle indicators that I might be in the right spot. I was more in a "Come on, damn it...slide in, would ya?" mode. My next attempt will definitely have to be more refined.

As for the possibility of the splines being twisted, I sure hope that isn't the case. The axle does move in and out enough that I can see the movement (when my son was attempting it, I could watch the movement at the differential). The movement was substantial enough to allow me to see it, but obviously not enough to allow for removal of the C-clip. I'm hoping that this is an indicator that the splines are not twisted, and not that the inward movement is being halted by twisted splines. If that is the case, then I may proceed with cutting the C-clip out with a Dremel.

Again, I really appreciate the input.
Regards,
Squatch

Last edited:
Just wanted to give a final update on the situation with the axle that wouldn't come out of axle housing of my Lincoln Town Car's 8.8 rear end.

I spent the better part of last weekend dealing with it, and I finally resorted to going from a 5 lb. BFH to a 10 lb. version. Even that took quite a few blows to the axle flange before it would shove the grooved axle through the bearing. It seems that the grooved edge in the axle had "mushroomed", effectively enlarging the diameter of the axle to something greater than what the bearings would allow to pass through. I could feel the axle center itself, but just couldn't get it to push through without getting all Neanderthal on it. But ultimately the win was mine, and the car is back on the road. Many thanks to those of you who responded to my request for guidance.
IMG_0732(1).JPG
IMG_0733.JPG

Reactions: Chris
Woohoo! Glad you got it solved. Sometimes all it takes is a BFH and some brute force!

Reactions: Squatch