8.8 rear end seals (again)

Assforkr

TJ Enthusiast
Replaced seals, bearings and split shafts in the 8.8 a month ago. Come out to the jeep and inside of the tire is once again soaked with diff oil after only 100 or so miles on the new equipment. Same side (passenger) as before the refurb work a month ago.

Other than the seal being misaligned, what else could be going on? I check the vent and didn't feel any obstruction. Even pulled the hose on the breather so I can just let it vent direct.

What if you overfilled it?
I have seen plenty of posts where people say that excess will be spewed out through breather tube, but in my experience with two different axles, oil will leak out of seals new or old.

I know you said they're new shafts but... any chance they're bent? Or that the tube is bent, for that matter.

Doubt the shafts are bent because the old shafts had the seal go on the passenger side also. In terms of bent tube, the truck is a summer time pavement princess. Doubt I bent the tube but I guess it’s possible. Though very unlikely.

I park on a sloping grade with one side of the truck lower than the other, typically the passenger is low. Could that have anything to do with it? Grasping at straws here.

Doubt the shafts are bent because the old shafts had the seal go on the passenger side also. In terms of bent tube, the truck is a summer time pavement princess. Doubt I bent the tube but I guess it’s possible. Though very unlikely.

I park on a sloping grade with one side of the truck lower than the other, typically the passenger is low. Could that have anything to do with it? Grasping at straws here.
Has any welding been done to the housing, like adding mounting brackets, truss, etc?

My 8.8 has the c clip eliminator kit, so the seals might be slightly different. Changed 3 times and they've both leaked every time. I finally gave up and just let it leak, chalked it up to one or both of the tubes probably being bent. Just going to build a new axle instead lol

Tacked a brake line bracket. Did it on both sides though so doesn't explain the tendency for the passenger side to weep only.
Gotcha, a small tack is nothing to worry about. A few inches of weld bead could be another story.

Make sure that the breather is not clogged
I had an 8.8 in my 2001 TJ. I ran it with stock axles for about 10k miles before upgrading it to the Super 8.8.
It never leaked.