8" vs 10" wheels

NSTRNGS

I'm new here so I apologize if this has been discussed. I looked and couldn't find my answer. 2005 wrangler with a 4" lift. What are the pros and cons of a 15x8 on 33x10.50r15 vs 15x10 on 33x12.5r15??

The issue is that you will get a better bead on a 8" rim when you air down than on a 10". That means you can air down more (10-12psi), and get a bigger footprint/traction. Also, you will be less likely to get rock rash on your wheel if you go with an 8" rim since it's tucked farther inside the tire. You can easily run a 12.5" wide tire in an 8" rim and this is advantageous for off road performance, though there are situations where a 10.5" wide tire might be advantageous, this is not normally the case.

More rolling mass. 8" wide wheel and narrower tire weigh less, which is easier on your brakes, bearings and drivetrain components. Other than driving on sand, I can't think of too many advantages for running a wider wheel/tire combo.

Reactions: JP13 and billiebob
For most mud, highway, rain and snow it seems the general consensus I've found is 10.5 for 33s. 12.5s will look cooler, weigh more, get bett r traction on rocks, but worse traction in rain snow and sometimes mud.

Also make sure to factor state laws regarding how far tires can stick out, plan flair length accordingly.

I'm going with 33x10.5r15 on an 8 inch alloy wheel. You also will get slightly better (might not be noticeable) mpg with the 10.5 and an 8 inch wheel vs the 12.5 on a 10 inch, which may or may not matter.

You could also compromise and get a 33x11.5r15.

I was wrong, Seems only like one or two places make the 11.5 for 33s, they aren't common but they do exist. Seems like it's basically just swampers but a differnt brand. you can get almost 33x11.5 with a metric size though I belive. I thought 33x11.5 was more common. Bummer. I bet they'd sell well!

Last edited:
Just to add to the confusion I am running 31x10.5x15's on 10 inch wheels. I don't plan on rock crawling so I am never going to air down to 8. If you are serious about offroading, I would probably go 8's with either of your choice, but I like the looks of the 10s better myself. I ran a YJ with 33x12.5s on 10's and wheeled it quite hard, again I never rock crawled per say, so I never usually aired down below 18 psi, but that said I never lost an axle nor a wheel bearing in the years I had it.

I happened to buy my new to me TJ, and it has 31's on 10's on it, and I plan on keeping it that way. The tires stick out about an inch of the flares all of the way around some people don't like that, but I do, Also you should check if it is legal.

You have to decide how you are going to use it, and what is best for that, and really it is a personal choice.