861hp 4.0

I’d be thrilled with 225. Love the engine, but could love it way more.

Reactions: John Cooper
Reactions: williambmac
I’d be thrilled with 225. Love the engine, but could love it way more.
I'll bet decent money that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between what you have and 225. Or if you were able to tell, you'd be sorely disappointed with how much you spent to get that and how much difference it made. I don't say that as another way of being a dick to you but as someone who installed a supercharger with a 5psi pulley on it and went "that's it?" That's what I get for 3 grand? I'm also the same person who put a NX 50 shot on a Dodge 5.9 when they made 240 HP from the factory. About the same reaction there as well. You could almost tell something had been done.

Iffen you're gonna piss over a performance fence, find the one that is just a smidge higher. I wouldn't even touch anything for a rig on 35's that didn't approach 300 HP.

I'll bet decent money that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between what you have and 225. Or if you were able to tell, you'd be sorely disappointed with how much you spent to get that and how much difference it made. I don't say that as another way of being a dick to you but as someone who installed a supercharger with a 5psi pulley on it and went "that's it?" That's what I get for 3 grand? I'm also the same person who put a NX 50 shot on a Dodge 5.9 when they made 240 HP from the factory. About the same reaction there as well. You could almost tell something had been done.

Iffen you're gonna piss over a performance fence, find the one that is just a smidge higher. I wouldn't even touch anything for a rig on 35's that didn't approach 300 HP.
i agree that the additional 35hp would be hardly noticable. I remember putting my 2001 tj on the chassis dyno at my old shop
If I remember correctly it only netted like 98hp at the rear wheels. The majority was lost through the drivetrain.

i agree that the additional 35hp would be hardly noticable. I remember putting my 2001 tj on the chassis dyno at my old shop
If I remember correctly it only netted like 98hp at the rear wheels. The majority was lost through the drivetrain.
I drove a rig a buddy spent a crapton of money on especially for 12 years ago. Performance head, lots of tweaks, headers, all to the tune of about 3 grand and he had a well documented series of dyno runs with a lot of care taken to get close to the same temperature and humidity for each. At the end of it he had a solid 35 horsepower increase. I drove it several times and it wasn't noticeable to someone who wasn't familiar with the rig.

I'd like to see what the old crap 4.2L engine put out at the rear wheels. 30 hp maybe?

Reactions: williambmac
I drove a rig a buddy spent a crapton of money on especially for 12 years ago. Performance head, lots of tweaks, headers, all to the tune of about 3 grand and he had a well documented series of dyno runs with a lot of care taken to get close to the same temperature and humidity for each. At the end of it he had a solid 35 horsepower increase. I drove it several times and it wasn't noticeable to someone who wasn't familiar with the rig.
Robert Yates?

I can believe that. I’m just always thinking something less than the extreme side of things would be more like it ...and I think to this day even the 392 is further than they need to kick, but more than a 3.6.

I have noticed there is no trend to modify 4.0’s.

It seems many supercharger and turbo owners don’t keep them long either- are they fussy?

I can believe that. I’m just always thinking something less than the extreme side of things would be more like it ...and I think to this day even the 392 is further than they need to kick, but more than a 3.6.

I have noticed there is no trend to modify 4.0’s.

It seems many supercharger and turbo owners don’t keep them long either- are they fussy?
Horsepower produces higher BTUs. Higher temps need to be dealt with. If you can't reliably cool the charge air, the forced induction is a waste. Of the ways to do it, air to air, air to liquid, and a 7th injector squirting fuel, the last one is the least capable. That is also the most common method for the average install since it is cheap and easy. The others work better but are much harder to do given how little real estate exists under the hood and in the grill for another radiator.

Reactions: AndyG