97 TJ steering shaft upgrade

the issue is it didn't use to...my brother drove it up from Mississippi when I bought it. I bought as is...it was built yrs ago when this shit was cool...as I've said I'm trying to drop it a bit but not spending a shit ton on money on it...sell it in a few yrs and buy a 4 door....but thanks for the "advice"..
I went through the exact same deal , had a 2004 era skyjacker lift ...horrible

@Steel City 06

Hey I've got a question for you now!....long story but I had to get a new box...

trying to hook up my lines from the pump/reservoir to the box. I've got the pump line into the front (closer to bumper top port) but cannot for the life of me get the reservoir line into the back (closer to engine) port...

any thoughts?

Which box did you get? PSC?

It took me a while to figure out how to thread mine. I have a -8AN line through the cooler and to the reservoir.

Mine is routed behind the grille, because that is where my cooler is. A body lift made it much easier to connect.

If you're having trouble connecting it, you might be able to drop the box and thread the fittings on, and then bolt the box back in place.

If you see play in the box, give PSC a call. They may have a few recommendations.

Also, while you're looking at it, check the torque on all of the bolts and nuts.

Especially the following:
  • Steering box to frame bolts (3)
  • Steering shaft pinch bolts (2)
  • Steering shaft bearing to riser bolts (2)
  • Steering shaft riser to frame bolts (2)
  • Pitman arm nut (1)
  • Pitman arm to drag link (1)
Any play in those areas could lead to slop.
@Steel City 06 I know this is an old thread, but I'm in the process of replacing my Box with a Lares and upper and lower shafts with mopar, a few questions: 1. any tips? 2. happen to know the torque specs for the bolts you mention above.

also do I need to buy a new bracket? did your mopar shaft come with hardware?

Thanks in advance

@Steel City 06 I know this is an old thread, but I'm in the process of replacing my Box with a Lares and upper and lower shafts with mopar, a few questions: 1. any tips? 2. happen to know the torque specs for the bolts you mention above.

Thanks in advanc

Thanks in advance
No specific tips I can think of. Note that the 97-02 and 03-06 shafts are different lengths. The Mopar ones should come with the carrier bearings.

The new steering shaft support bracket isn't needed. The only reason to replace it is if you have a body lift and you'd like to straighten out the steering shaft for a more linear response.

My Mopar shaft did not come with hardware. I reused the bolts or replaced with equivalent Grade 12.9 bolts where appropriate.

This page is a handy bookmark for bolt torque specs:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/tj-wrangler-torque-specs.html

No specific tips I can think of. Note that the 97-02 and 03-06 shafts are different lengths. The Mopar ones should come with the carrier bearings.

The new steering shaft support bracket isn't needed. The only reason to replace it is if you have a body lift and you'd like to straighten out the steering shaft for a more linear response.

My Mopar shaft did not come with hardware. I reused the bolts or replaced with equivalent Grade 12.9 bolts where appropriate.

This page is a handy bookmark for bolt torque specs:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/tj-wrangler-torque-specs.html
Thank you so much this is very helpful, and yes I did buy the longer shaft for the 2006 from rockauto

Reactions: Steel City 06