98 TJ - LS Swapped

5.3L 98 TJ

Supporting Member
Hi everyone.

I just finished LS swapping my 98 TJ.

1000009942.jpg

I have a LM7 5.3L LS with a TR6060 231np upgraded with upgraded dana 44s on 33s with a 4 inch lift It's a light off road/Street jeep and fun to drive.

About the only thing remaining from the jeep is the tub and the steering column and the climate control panel.

Now that the swap is done.. I'm working on the sound system and interior. I'm trying to upgrade from the single din to a double din.

Also want to address the center console to make it usable.

Couple of questions... anyone upgrade and just wire the power directly? how did that work? What speakers did you use in the dash?

Anyone put in XLR outs in the rear? I have a couple of thumper loud speakers and would love to have a ready made party ability.

Ps have a lot of parts remaining oem parts for the tj. Just want to get them out of my garage. I'll post them up later.

Congrats on the swap. I wish I could do mine sometimes.

Regarding stereo upgrades there are a couple big threads here with tons of details answering all your questions. Have fun and welcome!

Let's back up a bit and talk about this TR6060. Any photos of that setup?

Hi everyone.

I just finished LS swapping my 98 TJ.

View attachment 510059

I have a LM7 5.3L LS with a TR6060 231np upgraded with upgraded dana 44s on 33s with a 4 inch lift It's a light off road/Street jeep and fun to drive.

About the only thing remaining from the jeep is the tub and the steering column and the climate control panel.

Now that the swap is done.. I'm working on the sound system and interior. I'm trying to upgrade from the single din to a double din.

Also want to address the center console to make it usable.

Couple of questions... anyone upgrade and just wire the power directly? how did that work? What speakers did you use in the dash?

Anyone put in XLR outs in the rear? I have a couple of thumper loud speakers and would love to have a ready made party ability.

Ps have a lot of parts remaining oem parts for the tj. Just want to get them out of my garage. I'll post them up later.

That little LS is soooo cute!

🙂

Just kidding. Welcome to the forum. A quick search here will pull up several audio upgrade threads. A bunch of us have done the double-din mod.

Let's back up a bit and talk about this TR6060. Any photos of that setup?

Sure thing....

I used a comp engineering universal transmission mount to get it off the skidplate... I got an upgraded 231np from a shop in NY ... Had to get an ls6 flywheel... to fit under the bellhousing. (4.10 yukon gear and pinion) Tom Wood driveshafts. they are just worth the money)

had to mount it about 3/4 inch forward ... motor mounts went in ...in the same factory position..

I'm getting ~20 to 21 to the gallon on the interstate... about 1700 rpm at 70mph... 15 to 17 in the city, depending on how street lights are.

20240403_193452.jpg

20240403_193430.jpg

20240403_193524.jpg

20240403_193418.jpg

20240403_193507.jpg

20240403_193500.jpg

20240403_193531.jpg

20240403_193426.jpg

So my big challenges remaining are ..

the head unit, speaker and backup camera upgrade...
Get AC working...
Windshield reservoir and pump install
install hood louvers to pull heat out ...

Reactions: Wildman
So my big challenges remaining are ..

the head unit, speaker and backup camera upgrade...
Get AC working...
Windshield reservoir and pump install
install hood louvers to pull heat out ...

Head unit and camera are simple but there aren’t amazingly perfectly integrated solutions for the camera.

AC could be a challenge- is it there and not working or has that not been considered yet?

Tranzilla makes sense - do you have a cost on that unit?