99 SE Clutch Rattles in Neutral

JAYNE

Hi everyone,

I’m a longtime follower of this forum has always been my go to for finding advice on solutions to issues with my TJ. For the first time I’ve really got to reach out for some advice on a problem I’ve been trying to fix for over a year now.

Alright so my clutch fork has been rattling on the bell housing whenever the clutch isn’t engaged. When I dropped the transmission I see it makes contact just below where the hydraulics come in and just above, I’ll attach an image and circle these areas in red.

Now this confused me because the hydraulics are all newly rebuilt and shouldn’t be letting the fork make contact with the bell housing when installed (I went ahead and tested them in a vice just to be sure) so there shouldn’t be this noise right?? Either way I decide to try and dampen the noise and lather on a bit of JB weld onto these contact points and wrap it up with 1” gorilla tape 5 times around each. Went ahead and reinstalled the transmission and sure enough no rattle or clanking noise at all! Clutch doesn’t feel any different, isn’t slipping when I test it and hasn’t burned yet. So I’m a bit at a loss here, is this a repair I should just be happy with? Should I be worried about other issues this could cause? Really looking for some experienced opinions here cause this was a bit of a strange situation.
I should mention I had a new luk clutch flywheel and throw out bearing installed about 1 year ago and this noise started then. Used the tob luk supplied and replaced the fork retention spring as well.

Thanks in advance!

755FF3D3-80CF-4DE9-A43A-B43CBFC1E3E1.jpeg

The clutch fork was installed backwards 🙃 and the luk throwout bearing didn’t fit very well. I redid this recently because the rattle came back. Pivot side was placed on the slave side, it matters if you don’t want an annoying rattle. The LUK throw out bearing doesn’t fit the ax5 input sleeve very well. I ended up installing a national throwout bearing, it fit much better giving the fork less room to wiggle and make noise. It’s also much more difficult to clip onto the fork. But that’s a good thing.