Devin Russell

Hello all,

The other day I replaced both front fenders on my 99 tj. When replacing my flares though, I happened to find a nice rusty hole hidden behind my rear fender. Upon further examination, I've found that my floor support and body mounts are toasted. And it caused holes in my rear floor pan, especially around where the roll bar is at.

After getting a $4,000 quote to repair it all (only ordering new panels), but I was wondering if there is any cheaper options I could go with. I have welding experience, but no access to a welder. I was thinking pop rivets but I don't know how good that would be with It being so close to the roll bar. I will post pictures when I get home. Anything helps, thank you.

There was a thread on here just recently talking about replacement floorpan sections, I searched real quick but can't find it at the moment.

Pics!

Look for a used tub I bought one for a great price from baseline 4x4 in Indiana. With a new tub it won’t be patched and everything will line up. It’s a big job but I think it’s worth it if you will be keeping it for years to come.

A decent welder would be considerably cheaper than $4000 and if that's the cost of "only ordering new panels" you may want to give DaveysJeeps a call. They don't really sell anything new but they sell everything from small screws, to whole Jeeps and everything in between including many different body parts cut from Jeeps that were wrecked or on fire. My son bought a whole rust free YJ tub that had everything from the firewall back (including the interior wiring harness that melted from a fire under the hood :cry: ) for about $2500 IIRC.

Their inventory changes (probably) every day so a call is better than their website.

There was a thread on here just recently talking about replacement floorpan sections, I searched real quick but can't find it at the moment.

Pics!
Eh? https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-no-weld-rusty-floors.16236/

To OP, how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?

A tub swap opens up another can of worms for VIN/titling, inheriting other age/condition problems, color-matching, etc. It can be a good option provided you have the space, time, tools, and ambition to complete the job.

If your body mounts & torque boxes are toast, your frame is probably shit too unless you've already fixed it.