99 TJ with Ford 8.8 and HP Dana 30 build

Bennyggg

Gonna try to keep a “build progress” thread going for my 8.8 and HP30 build. I’d say this the first major project I’ve tackled for my TJ. I’m a backyard weekend warrior type mechanic and I’m learning as I go. Always looking for advice so please feel free to post opinions and thoughts. I’ve used this forum for years now but haven’t really contributed. So here’s my first try at giving back to the community.

6A186E7B-1C88-4FD8-AD4C-0FCDFEC033BC.jpeg

Current stats:
99 TJ 180k miles manual
2.5” OME springs
32” BF AT
Adj control arms all around with JJ’s
Adams drive shafts with SYE
Cut down the stock front bumper and welded side plates on.
Winch

Plans:
8.8 and HP30
4.88 gears
OX locker rear
Lunch box up front
35’s
4” OME springs
1/2” BL
Tummy tuck or high clearance skid

Reactions: Polaris and Chris
All together I paid $300 for both axles. Found them locally on craigslist and offer up.
4C5C95FC-80FF-423F-8931-0EFB3D57BE00.jpeg

68A75750-6366-4F01-88D5-9C6C0AADBB7E.jpeg

Over the past week I’ve stripped them down and completely gutted the 8.8.

Reactions: FishinSam
Followed many peoples advice and welded the 8.8 tubes to the housing. Used nickel 55 rods and a lot of preheat. Was far more difficult than I anticipated. The nickel rods are extremely soft. Not what I was used to.
A4AA1559-4F95-457D-B695-E00028439DCE.jpeg

made 3 initial passes and then cleaned up some messy spots with a TIG torch. Might clean it up a bit more.

I’ll try to follow along and give help where I can. I’ve done the same thing. I used artec trusses on both. I don’t know if you plan to but I’d recommend mocking your 8.8 up at ride height before wedding your brackets on and finding your optimal pinion angle, with SYE I assume. I wish I had done the same with the 30, not to adjust brackets, but to bite the bullet and cut and turn the outer C’s. I have fought pinion vs caster ever since installing the HP. So much so that I’m probably going to cut my C gussets and C’s off and turn them. Other than those two things nothing is coming to mind. Have fun, and good luck.