A/C compressor seems to be on the way out

Jackflack44

Bought my TJ in May of '19 when it had semi operable AC. Just took it to get evaluated, evacuated and refilled and received the below info from the mechanic:

"Vehicle takes 1.13 lbs of Freon.

A/C Control Head is switching properly.

Low side hose connector is held together with grey RTV.

High side schrader valve leaking - replaced.

A/C compressor is bad. Cycling every 5 seconds.

Low side at 50.

High side at 160.

Temp only gets to 67 degrees."

It seems to work well enough to bother putting the soft top on for this last bit of heat, as I've just left it off since I bought it.

I was also told while replacing the valve that there was metal debris within the system. Essentially, I'd like to know how you all would tackle this. I assume a flush of the system either myself or at a shop, and then having a shop vacuum the R134 out and then replace compressor and refill. Should I be replacing additional components as well? I don't want to have to do it again in ~6 months. Not a lot of experience with AC Systems so I appreciate the input.

Personally, I would replace everything but the evaporator core, and flush the heck out of the evaporator. If there are metal shards in the system, they could easily damage or destroy a new compressor. The only reason I wouldn't replace the evaporator is because you have to remove the dash to get to it.

Basically, you would need the three A/C lines with the orifice tube, the compressor, the condenser, and the accumulator, and maybe a few o-rings. You can get a flush kit on Amazon for not too much.

Reactions: 5632 and Daryl
Personally, I would replace everything but the evaporator core, and flush the heck out of the evaporator. If there are metal shards in the system, they could easily damage or destroy a new compressor. The only reason I wouldn't replace the evaporator is because you have to remove the dash to get to it.

Basically, you would need the three A/C lines with the orifice tube, the compressor, the condenser, and the accumulator, and maybe a few o-rings. You can get a flush kit on Amazon for not too much.
This is solid advice. I would do the evaporator too if you’re up to it. I’ve done a ton of them professionally but never on a TJ. Although the TJ strikes me as simple compared to a BMW or a Land Rover.

He saw metal in the high side line while replacing a service valve?

What was the outside air temperature when the refrigerant pressures were taken ? Suction pressure of 50 psi seems too high.... for that discharge pressure.
The high side is a bit low and the low side is a bit high. Typically ends up being a bad compressor. I do agree it is temperature dependent but if that system is fully charged that’s almost always a bad compressor.

The suction pressure of 50 psi I would expect the OAT to be about 85* and the discharge around 225 psi; instead of 160 psi.
With pressures like these; I agree that the compressor has problems.

Does anyone have a link to a good kit for all of these parts? Not sure if there is a bundle to save some $$$. Gonna try to dig into this in the next few weeks.

Following up if anyone has advice on a good kit. Texas gets hot early and my fiance doesn't love the heat haha