A/C compressor wont turn on

Joe.B

TJ Enthusiast
So I have a road trip coming up and I usually don't need a/c but I'm gonna be on the high way a lot and I'm gonna want the top up, So I was checking my a/c and the compressor would just turn on and off every 2-3 seconds and it would never stay on after I added the a/c booster stuff because my pressure was down, I narrowed it down to a low pressure sensor because when I unplugged it and jumped it it would stay running and pump out cold air. so I ordered a new one and it came in today, I plugged in the new switch and nothing it wouldn't even turn on for a few seconds so I then tried jumping it and there was still nothing. I checked the fuse and the relays and they where all good. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to what's wrong with it?

What are your pressures? How much did you add? If you don't know, I suggest taking it to a shop. It won't be much. Sounds like you just didn't have enough refrigerant. Maybe still not enough or maybe too much now.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Ok so I just went out for a drive but before I left I checked one more time to see if it would come back on and it did but was doing the thing where it would run for a few seconds the turn off again and I hooked up the bottle to see the pressure readings and here’s what I got

I still have some left in the can should i slowly try and add some more?
In this case I would say do it. Just know without a proper set of gauges that measure both high and low pressures, you are getting only half the story. A shop won't charge much, but I think you are safe now to add more and see what happens.

I agree it appears your system is low..., but you really need to connect a set of gauges to see what both sides of the system are doing for pressure. Just adding refrigerant is only a band aide.
You can try adding more of what remains from the refrigerant you purchased, but indications are you have a leak and you have no idea how long the refrigerant will remain in the system.
Suggest you take you Jeep into an A/C shop to get the system evaluated and fixed properly.

I just replaced my entire A/C system. Servicing one is not for the faint of heart. It's not difficult, but, at a minimum, you need a vacuum pump and set of gauges. The pump allows you to pull vacuum on the system, to boil out moisture and check for leaks. The gauges allow you to monitor both the the high and low pressure sides, for restrictions and proper filling.

For problems, they're generally a bad O-ring, which any good shop will find fast. Worst case scenario, it's a compressor, orifice tube, or condenser issue. As was said, it's usually better to go to a trusted shop!

Last edited:
  • USA Proud
Reactions: CharlesHS
I just replaced my entire A/C system. Servicing one is not for the faint of heart. It's not difficult, but, at a minimum, you need a vacuum pump and set of gauges. The pump allows you to pull vacuum on the system, to boil out moisture and check for leaks. The gauges allow you to monitor both the the high and low pressure sides, for restrictions and proper filling.

For problems, they're generally a bad O-ring, which any good shop will find fast. Worst case scenario, it's a compressor or condenser issue. As was said, it's usually better to go to a trusted shop!
The keys to getting your system working properly will be finding and fixing the leak (bad O ring as posted by Irun), boiling off any moisture in the system by bringing the system under a vacuum (approximately 250 microns) for at least 30 minutes and the weighing in of the charge recommended in Section 24 of the Factory Service Manual.

https://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/2002-tj-service-manual-pdf.14039/

Reactions: Irun
I agree it appears your system is low..., but you really need to connect a set of gauges to see what both sides of the system are doing for pressure. Just adding refrigerant is only a band aide.
You can try adding more of what remains from the refrigerant you purchased, but indications are you have a leak and you have no idea how long the refrigerant will remain in the system.
Suggest you take you Jeep into an A/C shop to get the system evaluated and fixed properly.

For problems, they're generally a bad O-ring, which any good shop will find fast. Worst case scenario, it's a compressor, orifice tube, or condenser issue. As was said, it's usually better to go to a trusted shop!
thank you guys for the help I'm just gonna bring it in and stop messing with it. Its about time there something that needs to be fixed that I cant fix at home

I had a similar issue with mine where pressure never increased. The compressor would kick in just for a moment before kicking off. It was as though something was preventing the refrigerant from going into the system. I ended up taking it in to have it looked at. Turned out one of the lines was completed plugged. Once removed it acted as normal and the system could be charged. Not sure what the plug was from. Taking it in would be your best bet.

I had a similar issue with mine where pressure never increased. The compressor would kick in just for a moment before kicking off. It was as though something was preventing the refrigerant from going into the system. I ended up taking it in to have it looked at. Turned out one of the lines was completed plugged. Once removed it acted as normal and the system could be charged. Not sure what the plug was from. Taking it in would be your best bet.
The expansion device (metering orifice) stops working due to obstructions in the system caused by moisture in the system. Sometimes flushing the system with a system cleaner will resolve the problem.
Replacing O rings and repairing system leaks will stop moisture from getting into the system.

Reactions: Irun