A/C not working when sitting in hot weather

It’s from Oregon where the A/C worked just fine. I didn’t even know this was an issue until moving here. Now it’s becoming such an issue that I am planning to sell it and buy something with A/C that actually works.

Given your experience working on A/C systems, is there a minivan that actually has A/C that works really well here in the desert? It so, tell me what it is because this is driving everyone in my family nuts.
Have not used any AC here so far this summer, house or vehicles.

Reactions: mrjp and Chris
The Toyota’s almost always have good AC. The key is to make sure it has the auxiliary AC option. Probably harder to find one without it here in AZ. It basically doubles the AC capacity for use in cars with a large interior space.
How do you tell if it has the auxiliary AC option? Is there somewhere I can look in the vehicle to find out?

I honestly never knew Arizona vehicles had this option.

How do you tell if it has the auxiliary AC option? Is there somewhere I can look in the vehicle to find out?

I honestly never knew Arizona vehicles had this option.
It’ll have a separate evaporator and fan in the back. If it’s just ducts bringing air from the front it’s not. The easiest way to tell is if you have Freon tubes under the vehicle going to a rear evaporator.

Reactions: mrjp and Chris
It’ll have a separate evaporator and fan in the back. If it’s just ducts bringing air from the front it’s not. The easiest way to tell is if you have Freon tubes under the vehicle going to a rear evaporator.

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to be looking for this on any future vehicle I purchase. Our current van is absolutely unbearable in this heat.

You can always re route your windshield washer nozzle to the condenser and give it a few squirts at stoplights. That’ll cool it right down. I actually saw that once on a customers car.
Not a terrible idea actually.