A/C only works sometimes

Wallyc13

Supporting Member
I have a 06 TJ that the AC works sometimes then it won't. I checked the Freon and added about a half a can. It started working after I turned it to Max AC and also work on the other 2 settings. While driving it yesterday I got stuck in traffic and turned it on for a little relief. It wouldn't even get cool no matter where the switch fan was set. The Jeeps temp was about 220 and was slowly getting hotter, but cooled when I was able to move, yet no AC. While I was charging the system I noticed the fan never changed speed while reviving the engine it stayed constant. Any help, Thanks

When the fan clutch is disengaged the fan speed does not significantly change with engine speed.
Can you recreate the circumstances that cause the AC to not work? If so, do so and look under the hood and see if the compressor is spinning. If the AC clutch or clutch circuit has gone bad then the AC won't work right or at all

Your refrigerant level is likely marginal and if it is there's a leak... freon doesn't get consumed, the only way its pressure reduces is if it leaks out. I'd take it to an automotive a/c shop and let them fix it right which will involve the use of a dye to find the leak.

This is the second time that this has happened. One other time while riding some trails. The same thing happened, no AC and the temp started to rise around 220 until I turned the AC off and temp went back to 210. I will try again today and see what happens, Thanks for the help,,

My AC was acting very similar to yours. it would just quit. The clutch would frequently engage/disengage.
Something simple and cheap to try.

Disconnect the high pressure and low pressure connectors. (high pressure switch is right near the compressor and the low pressure switch is on the accumulator; at least that is where mine are located). Clean them with electrical contact cleaner, add a pinch of Dielectric Grease into the plug (about 1/2" long) and reconnect. it smoothed out the clutch engagement. very consistent now.

hope it helps

I have noticed that the compressor stays on the whole time, it never cycles. So I added Freon to see if that would help. But I will try cleaning the plugs, maybe that will help, Thanks