A/C Vent Selector Not Working Properly

CraigM

I have relied on this forum over the last year for many different repairs, thankful to have the resource!

I’m having an issue with my vent selector switch on a 2002 TJ. Defrost works correctly, but when you select face vents it blows out of face and floor vents. Same result if you choose floor only, it will blow from face and floor vents. Below is what I’ve checked so far, not sure what I’m missing?

• Checked vacuum lines for cracks from intake to canister
• Verified both vacuum actuators under dash are functional and linkage is attached (assuming there is only two behind the ac controls)
•Verified the vent door is functioning
•Replaced the vent selector switch & vacuum hoses attached to it

If you get online & find a digital service manual for your year of Jeep, in the air conditioning section there is a good description & diagrams of the vacuum system in addition to some troubleshooting info.

Have you tried a smoke test to rule out vacuum leaks entirely? They’re often times very hard to find.

Reactions: Daryl
Have you tried a smoke test to rule out vacuum leaks entirely? They’re often times very hard to find.

Yeah they can be a real bitch to hunt down. My HVAC selector was fritzing out last year... I had a leak somewhere but for the life of me couldn't find it. I ended up getting ten feet of vacuum hose from NAPA and just replaced every line under the hood which ended up fixing it. I should have done that in the first place.

Yeah they can be a real bitch to hunt down. My HVAC selector was fritzing out last year... I had a leak somewhere but for the life of me couldn't find it. I ended up getting ten feet of vacuum hose from NAPA and just replaced every line under the hood which ended up fixing it. I should have done that in the first place.

To be honest, replacing all the vacuum line isn't a bad idea. Rubber wears out over time and gets brittle. Replacing it with new line (all of it) is IMHO good preventative maintenance.