A/C work on 2001 TJ

Daryl12

Hi new to forums here. I have just purchased a 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport that needs a little love. Unfortunately the AC isn't blowing cold (Yeah odd gripe for a jeep right).
So here's the issue -
When hooked up to the gauges the low side (blue) indicates 40psi and doesn't move much with the vehicle running. The compressor seems to kick on then off pretty quick (yes the clutch engages). The high side is going from 125psi down to like 75 pretty quick and rises quick when the compressor kicks on. Compressor is on off on off.
My thought process was low on freon, but why would the low side (blue) be staying relatively stable? blockage? I mean the compressor is working to some extent the high side (red) is spiking when it engages.

I'm new to AC work, but determined to get the AC working. AC is maybe 10 degrees cooler than ambient. It's not hot, but it's not cool and definitely not cold. I do hear the compressor whine a bit when it engages.
Ambient temp was about 85ish F
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
You might want to get a new orifice tube, o rings and the right oil to lube them for a start. Look in the resources section for more troubleshooting steps in your year fsm. If the system was charged with air in it you'll want to pull it to a vacuum and see if it holds for 30 min.then charge it to the system spec amount
Screenshot_20240626_215330_Chrome.jpg

The system is LOW on refrigerant, the test port could be obstructed (or low side of gauge manifold has a problem) and the refrigerant expansion orifice needs to be checked for obstructions.
To confirm gauge manifold LOW side is working properly; connect the manifold to a known properly working A/C system.

Thank you both! I'm going to try adding a little refrigerant today and monitor pressures. If that doesn't fix it I'm starting to suspect a blockage somewhere. Gauges work on a normal system. I'll post results! The high side certainly acts like it's low or it's leaking all pressure as the compressor disengages. I also realized based on temp both sides were low.

Here is a youtube link to the readings -
this was after I added some R134a. I suspect there was air in the lines, because the low side was pretty high (about 90F in the video)or the compressor simply isn't working to capacity. My absolute best guess if the vacuum and refill doesn't change anything is that there is a blockage. Truth be told I'm unsure. I also didn't pay attention at autozone when I got the gauges, these things don't do negative readings for vacuum.

Last edited: