A couple of questions

Jmac00

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
I was under the Tj this afternoon, installing the brake system so I can flat tow the jeep, and found the motor mounts didn't have any bolts on them?

1) isn't there supposed to be a bolt on the engine mount?

2) what is this black air scoop looking thing at the back of the engine

1645228494931.png
1645228518085.png

Answer to #2:

"Cowl plenum drain tube" per the FSM. It's supposed to clip just above the engine block tight against the firewall. Should be centered above the engine block. There should be a nut that holds it in place, which is also one of the 5-6 nuts that holds the heater/AC housing on the inside of the cab.

Grab yourself a 10x1.5 nut with a flange or washer and you are good to go

Clean out the cowl drain while you have it off it will be full of crap

Extra parts when your finished means you’re winning! Very efficient mechanic

I have a guy that works with us- he knows everything- if he installs a tub out of level the level is defective,etc-

He was told at the drag strip- “ have ALL the lug nuts on the car when you come back”
1f606.png
1f606.png

I have a OCD problem. I know things dont matter but they really do.
our tile contractor has a issue with levels as well while constructing the barrier free walk in showers. drains within the perimeter of the drain but the walk in side tends to pool and hold. plus his hours seem to be about 11:30 to 2 at the latest... but only manages to get about 6 tiles down, takes more breaks than ive ever seen anyone take and what day he shows up depends on something I havent quite figured out yet.

these though hes pretty good. there isnt very much to fuck up.
3D7861E1-2833-465A-8ED8-3338740BAE08.jpeg

Answer to #2:

"Cowl plenum drain tube" per the FSM. It's supposed to clip just above the engine block tight against the firewall. Should be centered above the engine block. There should be a nut that holds it in place, which is also one of the 5-6 nuts that holds the heater/AC housing on the inside of the cab.
are you saying whoever worked on the a/c did not replace it correctly

You have to use a metric nut. Getting close with SAE won’t work.
Mostly true. But, I sent out and have used 100's of 3/8"-16 in the holes for the front swaybar mount to bolt down Savvy bumpers. I did it that way because it was hard to find matching yellow zinc chromate plated fasteners in metric to use.

Reactions: JMT
are you saying whoever worked on the a/c did not replace it correctly
No. The original post didn't mention anything about A/C service.

Was just describing where it is supposed to be located. Diagram from the internet below. The nut (#10 in the diagram) is attached to one of the studs for the heater/AC housing unit on the inside of the cab.
1645275862540.png

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
No. The original post didn't mention anything about A/C service.

Was just describing where it is supposed to be located. Diagram from the internet below. The nut (#10 in the diagram) is attached to one of the studs for the heater/AC housing unit on the inside of the cab.
View attachment 310656
ok, what exactly is this part (#11) supposed to do. Im noy a gearhead by any stretch of the imagination. But I have been in a few engine compartments and I don't recall anything like this??? is it a fresh air intake or something??

ok, what exactly is this part (#11) supposed to do. Im noy a gearhead by any stretch of the imagination. But I have been in a few engine compartments and I don't recall anything like this??? is it a fresh air intake or something??
The cowl has a big open area where the wiper assembly sits. There is a grill in the cowl that lets water in. The water needs a place to go. That plastic drain funnels it down behind the motor.

Reactions: Jmac00
The cowl has a big open area where the wiper assembly sits. There is a grill in the cowl that lets water in. The water needs a place to go. That plastic drain funnels it down behind the motor.
My drain tube offsets to the side near the bottom, so it funnels water BESIDE the engine rather than behind it.