A different kind of oil thread...

egclassic

TJ Enthusiast
I know we all have our favorite brand and flavor of oil we prefer to run in our vehicles and at what intervals we like to change said oil.
Obviously, most oil changes are based on mileage, which is fine for a daily driver.
But, what about on vehicles that are not driven all that much? In 2001, I bought a brand new Toyota Tundra.
Shortly afterwards, my company provided a van that I drove to/from work and my toyota sat most of the time. Fast forward to today, that Tundra still only has 63,000 miles on it. My Jeep is going to be the same way, I usually only drive it on the weekends so it will take awhile to accumulate 3-5000 miles.
Looking back at my personal service records for my Tundra, I have to laugh. I have had oil change intervals of less than 1000 miles, simply because 4-6 months have passed and I have heard bad things about letting "used" oil sit in a vehicle too long.
So what do you all think? BTW, I have left the 3 months / 3000 mile oil change intervals back in the stone age, I just have trouble getting to 3000 miles sometimes!
Now on my wife's car, I go 7-8000 miles between changes.

Last edited:
I've got the same issue, my jeeps main job is driving to the daycare less than a mile from my house. And my Cherokee got driven even less. I just change it every three to six months.
And when I bought this tj I ran a quart of atf in it for about two weeks to flush it out. Seemed to work.

I've got the same issue, my jeeps main job is driving to the daycare less than a mile from my house. And my Cherokee got driven even less. I just change it every three to six months.
And when I bought this tj I ran a quart of atf in it for about two weeks to flush it out. Seemed to work.

I know its not always possible, but if I jump in my truck or the Jeep to run somewhere real quick, I TRY to drive around for awhile to make sure the oil gets hot enough to burn off any condensation that has formed in there.
I tried to get my wife to alternate driving my truck and her car to work a couple times a week, but she does't like driving my truck all that much.

Same boat, my Jeeps sit for months. I usually change the oil in a monthly style basis. If of my Jeeps has been sitting for a few months (3+ is not common for any one of mine) and I know I want to go drive it soon, I'll just go ahead and change it before driving it. I don't use expensive oil such as Royal Purple or Amsoil, so it doesn't hurt my wallet at all. More peace of mind if anything.

Reactions: egclassic