A different twist on A-pillar lights

I’ll try to take pictures and write down a list of supplies of what it takes to get it done. I have a couple weeks off at the beginning of March so I should be able to get around to it all at some point during that time. Big thanks to you guys for helping me get started and throwing ideas my way.

Reactions: bedhed and reddvltj
I might start a new thread if I need to but those headlights have a h-4 adapter on them. When wiring, should I just cut that off then splice my wiring on to that?

And I’m still considering a few options as far as wiring goes but let’s say I go with running high beams on them all the time with an on/off switch. How would I wire it that way?

There are three wires on the lights. A red, a green, and a white. A feller at work said one was for power and the other two were for high/low. Is that correct?

I might start a new thread if I need to but those headlights have a h-4 adapter on them. When wiring, should I just cut that off then splice my wiring on to that?

And I’m still considering a few options as far as wiring goes but let’s say I go with running high beams on them all the time with an on/off switch. How would I wire it that way?

There are three wires on the lights. A red, a green, and a white. A feller at work said one was for power and the other two were for high/low. Is that correct?
No, one is ground and the other 2 are for high or low beam. You could run a 3 position switch through 2 relays and be able to use high or low beam, or you could wire both high and low beam together.
1581997487200.png

IIRC green is low beam, white is ground and red is high beam

Last edited:
Reactions: bedhed
No, one is ground and the other 2 are for high or low beam. You could run a 3 position switch through 2 relays and be able to use high or low beam, or you could wire both high and low beam together.
View attachment 140950
IIRC green is low beam, white is ground and red is high beam
Okay thanks.

I know the topic has been beat to death but does anyone have any suggestions as far as wiring? I’ve spent an hour or so reading through different threads and I have looked over the wiring schematics but it’s still a little vague to me without actually popping the hood and tracing stuff out.
I haven’t been able to check yet but I think my Jeep is wired for fog lights from the factory. It’s a 2005 sport.
I’ve seen wires hanging down under the fenders and I’m thinking that’s what they are. I don’t think there’s a relay in the fuse box for them. So could I buy the Bosch relay and pop it in the fuse box then add a fuse tap to the panel behind the glove box in the corresponding fuse slot and send a wire to a toggle switch?
I’m on nights this week and I went over all this at about 3am this morning so I’m sorry if I butchered that and it makes zero sense :sleep::LOL:

You could purchase some thing like this:
1581997960394.png

Or cut the plug off and wire directly to a relay and switch, either way would be fine. Cut and splice would have fewer connections but more work when it comes time to replace...

Either way you do it make sure you run through a relay..

Okay thanks.

I know the topic has been beat to death but does anyone have any suggestions as far as wiring? I’ve spent an hour or so reading through different threads and I have looked over the wiring schematics but it’s still a little vague to me without actually popping the hood and tracing stuff out.
I haven’t been able to check yet but I think my Jeep is wired for fog lights from the factory. It’s a 2005 sport.
I’ve seen wires hanging down under the fenders and I’m thinking that’s what they are. I don’t think there’s a relay in the fuse box for them. So could I buy the Bosch relay and pop it in the fuse box then add a fuse tap to the panel behind the glove box in the corresponding fuse slot and send a wire to a toggle switch?
I’m on nights this week and I went over all this at about 3am this morning so I’m sorry if I butchered that and it makes zero sense :sleep::LOL:
If you want to use the relay for the fog lights you wouldn't need to use a new switch , unless your Jeep doesn't have the fog light switch. You would just have to open up the PDC and replace the wire that runs from the fog light relay to the fog light plugs under the fender and then route a new wire from the PDC to where ever you want to mount your lights.

If it didn't come with the fog light switch the wiring is still behind the dash panel and you could get either a factory fog switch or an aftermarket switch that can be put in those slots and use the wiring that is already there.

If you want to use the relay for the fog lights you wouldn't need to use a new switch , unless your Jeep doesn't have the fog light switch. You would just have to open up the PDC and replace the wire that runs from the fog light relay to the fog light plugs under the fender and then route a new wire from the PDC to where ever you want to mount your lights.

If it didn't come with the fog light switch the wiring is still behind the dash panel and you could get either a factory fog switch or an aftermarket switch that can be put in those slots and use the wiring that is already there.
Unfortunately no fog light switch. On the fence about buying a factory fog light switch and installing on the dash beside the o/d switch or just buying a rocker switch and putting that somewhere else. I’d like to go for the factory switch for the cleaner looks, but I’m wondering it would be less of a hassle to use a simple toggle switch and be done with it.

Would it be more trouble than it’s worth to try to pull those factory wires back up toward the windshield and use them than running new wires?

Im also assuming if I’m using the fog light relay I won’t need to worry about running any additional wires besides the one from the fuse tap to the switch since everything else would be wired into the PDC from the factory harness?
If I’m thinking correctly the panel behind the glove box should have a wire that goes back to that relay and I should be able to tap that fuse and add my switch to that which would eliminate the need for another fuse and running any extra wires.

To simplify, I’m asking If all I need to do is run one wire to the switch from a tapped fuse behind the glove box, plug in the relay, and then wire the lights and I should be good to go?

Would it be more trouble than it’s worth to try to pull those factory wires back up toward the windshield and use them than running new wires?
Trying to pull the wires out of the factory harness from under the fenders would be way more work than it's worth... Like I said just open up the fuse box under the hood (PDC) where the relay for the fogs plugs in and run a wire from there to where ever you want to mount your lights if you want to use that circuit... That way you could use the existing wiring behind the switch panel instead of running new wires under the dash.

Here's a switch that fits in that switch panel:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FGXEMIW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

1582002411403.png

To simplify, I’m asking If all I need to do is run one wire to the switch from a tapped fuse behind the glove box, plug in the relay, and then wire the lights and I should be good to go?

If you use the existing fog light circuit the power is already there behind this panel:
1582002323137.png

There would be no need to tap any of the fuses from the fuse panel behind the glove box

Trying to pull the wires out of the factory harness from under the fenders would be way more work than it's worth... Like I said just open up the fuse box under the hood (PDC) where the relay for the fogs plugs in and run a wire from there to where ever you want to mount your lights if you want to use that circuit... That way you could use the existing wiring behind the switch panel instead of running new wires under the dash.

Here's a switch that fits in that switch panel:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FGXEMIW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 140959

If you use the existing fog light circuit the power is already there behind this panel:
View attachment 140958
There would be no need to tap any of the fuses from the fuse panel behind the glove box
Ahh the muddy water is starting to settle lol. Getting more clear. I think I’m gonna get a parts list going and get this started.
I appreciate you going out of your way to help me on this. Been a big help. I’ll keep y’all posted on how it goes and be sure to upload the process and the finished product.

Reactions: reddvltj
Just got caught up with the conversation. I'd like to see what you come up with too, once you get this rolling.

I wanted to share this bit too. If you use the factory wiring that runs from the fog light switch to the relay in the PDC, this may be worth entertaining. The factory fog light setup is designed to turn them off when the high beams are turned on. When they're turned on, the multifunction switch sends a signal to the relay that breaks the power circuit going to the fog lights. That would have your pillar lights turning off when you hit your bright lights.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ds-for-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.9151/post-485452

Attachments

• Fog Relay.pdf
    150.1 KB · Views: 112
Just got caught up with the conversation. I'd like to see what you come up with too, once you get this rolling.

I wanted to share this bit too. If you use the factory wiring that runs from the fog light switch to the relay in the PDC, this may be worth entertaining. The factory fog light setup is designed to turn them off when the high beams are turned on. When they're turned on, the multifunction switch sends a signal to the relay that breaks the power circuit going to the fog lights. That would have your pillar lights turning off when you hit your bright lights.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ds-for-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.9151/post-485452
Dang it how did I not see that. So could I switch a couple of wires and have it where they come on with my high beams and turn off when I hit the lows and still have the on off switch on the dash?

Dang it how did I not see that. So could I switch a couple of wires and have it where they come on with my high beams and turn off when I hit the lows and still have the on off switch on the dash?
You can still have everything just as you and reddvltj have been talking about, but to prevent them from turning off when you hit your highbeams, you will have to bypass that function. Super easy. Doing it that way, they would turn on and off with the new switch, just as you would expect. If you didn't bend or cut the relay's pin, the new lights would turn off just as soon as you turned on your bright lights, then back on when they're turned off.

As far as having them do the opposite, I'd have to look over the wiring diagrams to make sure, but I can't think of a reason why you couldn't do that, but it would involve more wiring modifications, since the signal is coming from the multifunction switch. Me personally, I'd just get rid of that specific relay pin and have them function like normal.

I just looked back at the wiring diagram. It really wouldn't take extra effort like I was thinking. I was overthinking it. All you would have to do is change which pin you use on the relay. The way the factory fogs are wired, their "ON" circuit is running through the relay's resting state. When the high beams are turned on, the solenoid is triggered, which flips the relay's internal toggle switch to an unused pin. Since the pin is unused, it does nothing except for turning the fog light off. If there was something wired to that alternate pin, it would send that power over to it instead of the fog lights. And this is how you could to the reverse, like you mentioned.

The larger image is the normal configuration. The smaller image would be the opposite. By doing this though, it would mean that turning your new toggle switch "on" wouldn't do anything unless the high beams were on. Not really ideal I don't think.
Switcharoo.png

Last edited:
You can still have everything just as you and reddvltj have been talking about, but to prevent them from turning off when you hit your highbeams, you will have to bypass that function. Super easy. Doing it that way, they would turn on and off with the new switch, just as you would expect. If you didn't bend or cut the relay's pin, the new lights would turn off just as soon as you turned on your bright lights, then back on when they're turned off.

As far as having them do the opposite, I'd have to look over the wiring diagrams to make sure, but I can't think of a reason why you couldn't do that, but it would involve more wiring modifications, since the signal is coming from the multifunction switch. Me personally, I'd just get rid of that specific relay pin and have them function like normal.
Funny you say that because I was just browsing through the forum under the thread talking about cheap mods to do. I’ll give that a shot thanks

I just looked back at the wiring diagram. It really wouldn't take extra effort like I was thinking. I was overthinking it. All you would have to do is change which pin you use on the relay. The way the factory fogs are wired, their "ON" circuit is running through the relay's resting state. When the high beams are turned on, the solenoid is triggered, which flips the relay's internal toggle switch to an unused pin. Since the pin is unused, it does nothing except for turning the fog light off. If there was something wired to that alternate pin, it would send that power over to it instead of the fog lights. And this is how you could to the reverse, like you mentioned.

The larger image is the normal configuration. The smaller image would be the opposite. By doing this though, it would mean that turning your new toggle switch "on" wouldn't do anything unless the high beams were on. Not really ideal I don't think.
View attachment 141082
Not exactly ideal, but my way of thinking is that if I’m using windshield mounted lights I would have my high beams on anyways. With the reversed configuration, would that mean if I left my switch in the on position then turning my brights on would trigger the windshield lights and turning off the brights would turn off the windshield lights? Sorry if that’s basically what you just said, clearly I’m electrically challenged haha.