A few questions about re-gearing for 33s

WallyWest

TJ Addict
I've got a '03 Sport, Dana 30 front, 35 rear. Going to 33's, I've decided to stick with the stock wheels, Ravines, and get 33x10.5, probably KO2s.

I'm not going to be doing anything crazy in terms of rock crawling, deep mud, stuff like that. This is mostly just for fun and the occasional moderate off road stuff. I know many people with the Dana 30/35 rigs upgrade axle shafts when regearing. Is that something that's considered necessary, or is it just for people who are going to do the more extreme off road stuff?

I do want to install lockers as well. Leaning toward ARB. Definitely in the rear, not sure if it's worth putting in the front as well. I imagine for my use the answer is no, but if it's not that much more expensive might as well?

I believe the standard recommendation here is Revolution gears. Should I insist on that or are there other acceptable brands? The place I'm looking at to do the work didn't list Revolution on their site, but I haven't talked to them about it yet. They say on the website "We are an authorized distributor for Dana Spicer, Nitro Gear & Axle, Motive Gear and G2 Axle & Gear."

And what price range should I expect for this? The place I'm considering going to is Hoakes 4WD in Wrightsville PA. They've been the first recommendation from everyone I know that's into off road stuff.

Thanks.

You need to go to 30 spline axles for your Dana 35 if installing a locker. Commonly called a Super 35 kit. Front Dana 30 will be fine without a locker and maybe with. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable members will chime in.

I only have various info I saw on this forum. It seems to me that many recomend alloy axles if you go to a front locker (especially without a Dana 44. I also read somewhere that only one company is actually manufacturing 5.13's. So while there might be difference - virtually every 5.13 is coming from the same factory. Did you mention your engine and transmition? 5.13's are recomended for the 4sp auto - don't think they are recommended for the 6sp manual.

The shop that is doing my regear used to use Revolution almost exclusively - but they told me they would use what they could get as they were having supply issues with Revolution now.

Yeah, supply issues are the norm now. I can afford to wait though if they have to order stuff.

Should have mentioned, my TJ is a 4.0 and 5spd manual.

I only have various info I saw on this forum. It seems to me that many recomend alloy axles if you go to a front locker (especially without a Dana 44. I also read somewhere that only one company is actually manufacturing 5.13's. So while there might be difference - virtually every 5.13 is coming from the same factory. Did you mention your engine and transmition? 5.13's are recomended for the 4sp auto - don't think they are recommended for the 6sp manual.

The shop that is doing my regear used to use Revolution almost exclusively - but they told me they would use what they could get as they were having supply issues with Revolution now.

OP has a 5 speed so recommended gearing is 4.56 or 4.88

I've got a '03 Sport, Dana 30 front, 35 rear. Going to 33's, I've decided to stick with the stock wheels, Ravines, and get 33x10.5, probably KO2s.

I'm not going to be doing anything crazy in terms of rock crawling, deep mud, stuff like that. This is mostly just for fun and the occasional moderate off road stuff. I know many people with the Dana 30/35 rigs upgrade axle shafts when regearing. Is that something that's considered necessary, or is it just for people who are going to do the more extreme off road stuff?

I do want to install lockers as well. Leaning toward ARB. Definitely in the rear, not sure if it's worth putting in the front as well. I imagine for my use the answer is no, but if it's not that much more expensive might as well?

I believe the standard recommendation here is Revolution gears. Should I insist on that or are there other acceptable brands? The place I'm looking at to do the work didn't list Revolution on their site, but I haven't talked to them about it yet. They say on the website "We are an authorized distributor for Dana Spicer, Nitro Gear & Axle, Motive Gear and G2 Axle & Gear."

And what price range should I expect for this? The place I'm considering going to is Hoakes 4WD in Wrightsville PA. They've been the first recommendation from everyone I know that's into off road stuff.

Thanks.

5-speed, 4.0, 33’s, Dana 30/35, lockers

Need 4.88’s
Rear super 35
Front Chromoly shafts

Reactions: Irun and GPK03X
I just went through this debate. I have a 4.0 5spd with 33s and a 30/35. I chose 4.56, Torq lunchbox in front with stock shafts, and LSD rear with 1541H shafts. Unlike you I did not want full lockers because it didn't fit my needs. Buy what suits your use. All my gear and axle parts are Yukon. I had my work done at east coast gear and they had all of it in stock. You can order parts from them and have it shipped to you if supply is an issue.