A few questions for the Guri (plural of Guru :))

TJ Hunnicutt

Lord of Flatulence
Supporting Member
Hoping to have the orange '01 99% ready to sell after this weekend but have been daydreaming/planning for work on the '06 and have racked up a few question for the TJ sages:

1) Is it a bad idea to do an MML without a BL? I appear to have some amount of tummy-tuck (really need to get some measurements) but the body pucks look stock so I don't have any body lift. I was planning on replacing my stock motor mounts with some M.O.R.E units but was wondering if it might be a good idea to go for the 1" lift versions. I could see how it might potentially cause engine/tranny clearance problems and/or shifter alignment/clearance issues but that's really just speculation on my part. Anyone have experience or insight?

2) I know there are lots of you guys/gals with the Bright Silver Metallic paint and wondered if any of you had tried the DupliColor "Perfect Match" PS2 touch-up paint and, if so, how did it work? It's way cheaper than going with the Chrysler option.

3) Looking at several options for 15" wheels. I have to stay with 15" because I have a set of 5 brand new 33" X 12.5" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3s that are 15". So, I'm wanting to get something with a bit of silver and a bit of black to reflect the color scheme of the Jeep and have been seriously considering the Vision Warrior 375's. Problem is that they are only 7.5" wide rather than the usual 8". Now, I'm guessing that half inch won't make much diff but, since I'll be mounting 12.5" wide tires, I figured I run it by the gang. Also wondering if anyone has had experience with Vision wheels or even the Warriors in particular.

4) OEM-like Rubicon stickers. The PPO had, for some reason, removed the original Rubicon stickers from the hood and put on not-quite-right replacements...in the wrong place. Here's a lovely night shot of what I mean.

Planning on replacing them and putting 'em back in the original position. Really want to get as close as possible to the OE stickers which, on my build sheet, are listed as "DARK SILVER METALLIC". Any thunks on best sources?

5) Thoughts on aftermarket service manuals: Generally I'm a Haynes manual fan and I have the Haynes manual (circa 2003) for my '01 TJ but I've been somewhat disappointed in it due to the fact that it was originally written around the YJ and does not seem to have been properly updated for the TJ's. Are the later editions of this manual any better (now covering through 2017; which seems to even further extend an over-extended model run) or are there other options that cover the TJs better. I am aware of the factory service manuals available for download on this forum and have downloaded them but just like the aftermarket manuals for day-to-day stuff.

That bees it for now but I'm certain that I will have more questions future (once I get to actually work on the Rubi). Thanks in advance!

The only issue when doing a MML without a body lift is the engine fan will be positioned higher so it will run into the fan shroud. You can move the fan shroud up an inch by drilling new mounting bolt holes 1" lower than the factory bolt holes. When ordering the MML make sure to go with the version that has rubber mounts. Those with polyurethane pass vibrations into the passenger compartment, not to mention polyurethane tends to squeak.

Manual-wise, I wouldn't consider a Hanes to be good for much more than easy things that don't change over the years like brakes. Books from Haynes and Chiltons try to include too many model years into one thin volume to be entirely correct for any one model year. There are lots of sources you can download the official Mopar Factory Service Manual for your model year for free, they are thick hefty tomes that are model year specific so they are exactly correct for the model year they are printed for. I believe this site has information on where your model year FSM can be downloaded from.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
  1. See Jerry's explanation.
  2. Haven't tried that color, but the coverage of the Stone White version is so terrible that the Mopar paint ends up being cheaper in the end.
  3. 12.5" will mount on 7.5". No experience with that company.
  4. Pixel Decals.
  5. Download an FSM.

Thanks for the replies.
Yeah, I have the FSM's and will probably take them to Kinkos or another print shop to print out a hard copy rather than use all the toner in my printer.

1. See Jerry's explanation.
  2. Haven't tried that color, but the coverage of the Stone White version is so terrible that the Mopar paint ends up being cheaper in the end.
  3. 12.5" will mount on 7.5". No experience with that company.
  4. Pixel Decals.
  5. Download an FSM.
Thanks for the info, especially about the touch-up paint. Good to know.

You need to find the pervert that did those stickers wrong and slap them.
No kidding. Even before I went to look at the Jeep I was thinking, what dorf puts the Rubicon sticker in the wrong place?

Thanks for the replies.
Yeah, I have the FSM's and will probably take them to Kinkos or another print shop to print out a hard copy rather than use all the toner in my printer.

Thanks for the info, especially about the touch-up paint. Good to know.

No kidding. Even before I went to look at the Jeep I was thinking, what dorf puts the Rubicon sticker in the wrong place?
We have a guy in Alabama that has the “if you can read this flip me over “ sticker ....on upside down.

2) I know there are lots of you guys/gals with the Bright Silver Metallic paint and wondered if any of you had tried the DupliColor "Perfect Match" PS2 touch-up paint and, if so, how did it work? It's way cheaper than going with the Chrysler option.

Duplicolor doesn't last in my experience.

If you have a tablet or a phone with a large screen, a .pdf copy of the FSM is much more compact and portable. You can also keep a copy on a thumb drive, for access most anywhere.

MML without BL is fine. You’ll just have to move fan shroud up one inch. The MML will give you more clearance for your oil pan. Coupled with a small BL you’ll be ready for a TT.

15x7.5 wheels? You can run a 10.5” tire with no problem. Some shops balk at installing a 12.5” tire on a 15x8, so you may run into resistance trying to do so on a 15x7.5. It’s going to come down to the shop.

Thanks guys! Lots of good info.

@Sundowner, I actually have a tablet that would be perfect for that. Great idea!

Going to get to do a little work on the Rubi this weekend (YAY!). So, I might even get some "before" pics.

@JMT, I actually think I have a (possibly minor) TT. I need to get some pics to post up here so the peoples that know can clue me in on exactly what I do have.