A good grease gun?

jjvw

useless stäff member
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
What is a good grease gun? I have a blue Lincoln. Almost every time I replace the grease cartridge, I can't get it bled, primed and working without losing half a tube. What am I doing wrong?

Reactions: Squatch
Once you replace the cartridge install the top but don’t screw it down tight. Release the plunger and very slowly screw the lid down tight. Then depress the air bleed button on top until grease comes out. Then pump the handle. It takes a few minutes, but you’ll eventually figure out the sequence and timing and you’ll become quick at it.

Last edited:
I just went through this thrash, I bought a pneumatic grease gun from Warrior Women that I could *NOT* get to prime. Finally gave up and sent it back, went to the local O'Reilly and bought a manual that worked perfectly first time. I spent an entire day trying to get that pneumatic to prime, and it just wasn't happening...

once you replace the cartridge install the top but don’t screw it down tight. Release the plunger and very slowly screw the lid down tight. Then depress the air bleed button on top until grease comes out. Then pump the handle. It takes a few minutes, but you’ll eventually figure out the sequence and timing and you’ll become quick at it.

Did that a few different ways. I finally got it to bleed by unscrewing the entire bleeder valve most of the way and letting that make a mess all over itself.

Did that a few different ways. I finally got it to bleed by unscrewing the entire bleeder valve most of the way and letting that make a mess all over itself.
Is your plunger cup facing the correct direction? One direction is for cartridges the other is for refilling with bulk grease.

Is your plunger cup facing the correct direction? One direction is for cartridges the other is for refilling with bulk grease.

Rubber skirt is facing down, away from the top.
20201005_171436.jpg

That’s an EP2 grease. EP (extreme pressure). Try locking the plunger rod onto the plunger and push the plunger with your hand while depressing or turning the air bleed. For your region you may consider trying an EP1 grease. We used that during the winter months here.