A movie remake that no one asked for

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Hollywood is fresh out of ideas.

They're remaking a movie that is dear and beloved to me and is arguably one of the best (and funniest) moves ever made... Planes, Trains, & Automobiles

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/smith-kevin-hart-star-remake-223600614.html
Fuck you Hollywood. This is something no one asked for.

Steve Martin and John Candy can not be replaced.

Next thing you know these assholes are going to try and remake Christmas Vacation, Caddyshack, etc.

its not a remake, its a Reboot! Watch Jay and Silent Bob Reboot...Keven smith kinda rips the whole industry in that movie, in a way only Kevin Smith can (If you're a fan of Kevin Smith, anyway).

Yes, I like those guys!

Reactions: Rick Flair
The movies and TV now have a set formula with very little deviation. So much so, that my wife hates watching movies with me. I'll tell her what's next, the most likely ending, how a scene looks like one from another movie where they stole ideas and lines from, etc., etc.

They take the same story over and over and plug in sex, drugs, violence, CGI affects, and gratuitous swearing to make up for their lack of story telling.

Sometimes I'll read this forum and pay half attention to the movie so I stop critiquing.

Most of the best remakes occurred when changing black and white films from the 30s and 40s with their over the top "acting" into films with more realistic dialog and content in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s. Once special affects and shock took over for writing it went downhill. Now everything is about getting the right mix for diversity and putting in political statements on top of the sex, drugs, violence, CGI, and swearing. I get the diversity thing, but it's so forced that it wouldn't surprise me if a reboot of Roots had a mix of white, Indian, black, and Asian slaves.

I watch way fewer movies and TV shows and bought a Jeep instead.

Last edited:
The only good thing about these remakes is it usually causes a large increase in viewing of the original. I think this was one of John Candy's best performances. As annoying as his character was you still really had a huge amount of empathy for him. I doubt Kevin Hart will be able to elicit the same emotions.

The only good thing about these remakes is it usually causes a large increase in viewing of the original. I think this was one of John Candy's best performances. As annoying as his character was you still really had a huge amount of empathy for him. I doubt Kevin Hart will be able to elicit the same emotions.

This is indeed one of John Candy's best films.

This film along with Uncle Buck, Summer Rental, and probably The Great Outdoors are fantastic films from a great period in time.

Hollywood, movies, and TV in general is suffering because of youtube and Netflix. Even if they don't want to admit it. Why go to a movie theater (who is doing that now?) or wait for a TV show to come on when you can stream it or watch youtube?

I usually think Kevin Hart is pretty funny, and Will Smith has starred in many of my favorite action films. But yeah, I don't see how that combo fits into spot for Steve Martin and John Candy.

My favorite part of the movie was when the other driver was telling them they were going the wrong way. "how does he know where we're going?!" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The humor in comedy movies is just different today. Somehow I feel like back then the jokes were simultaneously dumber but required more intelligence to get them.

They remade Willy Wonka, and also Ghostbusters. WTF? About the only remake I've seen that was actually decent was the 2002 (?) version of "The Time Machine", which importantly paid tribute to the 1960 original. Very well done, yet didn't detract from the first one. What's next, "The Wizard of Oz", or "Cleopatra"?

I saw they are remaking Home Alone as well 🤦🏻

Let me guess...they're not replacing Harry and Marv with POC's are they? :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, at least that one doesn't appear to just be a diversity revision like PT&A and the recent Ghostbusters reboot, and looks to have some funny actors/actresses.

Still makes you ask "why?", but the answer is pretty simple. Despite remakes being almost universally not as good as the original, they always make money because moviegoers continue to demonstrate the definition of insanity by seeing remakes of movies they like and expecting it to be good.

They already did this with "Due Date".
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1231583/

good point. That was funny, though I don't have the desire to go back and rewatch it the way I do with PT&A.

That's how bad Hollywood has gotten - even many of the movies that are put forth as original are just rehashing the same concept.