A semi-complete DIY highline guide

Blake Stamper

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Okay so first off I want to preface that this was my first attempt at a DIY Highline, purchasing an actual kit to use actual Highline fenders is definitely much easier but my brother wanted to keep the Jeep look as well as not spend 1000+ dollars on the proper fenders, also this isn't a complete write-up as my brother did some of the work but didn't document any of it so Ill do my best to fill the gaps as best as I can.

IMG_0114.jpeg

The first step should feel a bit obvious but remove all the bolts holding the fender to both the tub and grill so it is one free entity, as well as everything connected to the fender.

IMG_0118.jpeg

The bottom bolt hole on the grill can be reused, the other holes need to be re-drilled, this was our first test fit, you can see just how much clearance a project like this can create. I feel now is a great time to talk about the why of this project. My brother uses his Jeep for daily driving and occasional camping trips. It doesn't see many hardcore trails and he really likes the looks of 35s. He has a roof rack and RTT for said adventures. At the current lift height of approximately 2in, he barely, and I mean almost touches the entrances to the parking garages on campus so lifting it was an automatic no, he also does not want to drop tire size so I suggested we try to highline it.

IMG_0123.jpeg

To get the inner fender to go all the way up in the front, you have to grind the lip behind the headlight, we used a Dremel with a rotary bit and cut-off wheel.

IMG_0124.jpeg

While working on the front we clamped the rear of the fender to the tub to locate it.

IMG_0129.jpeg

We started by using the bottom bolt and tightened that down, I didn't mention this but you also need to pull your headlights to access the holes you are drilling into the grill to get and nut and fender washer on.

IMG_0140.jpeg

Before we get too far, make sure you cut this slot in the fender brace, this will give the fender enough flex to bend around, this is very important as you won't be able to get it to bend without this cut.

IMG_0144.jpeg

The next thing you want to do is drill a large enough hole into the grill using the fender holes as your reference guide. After drilling the second hole, using a longer bolt and large fender washers on both sides, tighten the bolt so it sucks the fender in as close as you can to the grill. This is where things start to get a bit tricky as its very easy to stretch the metal and break the paint, this part didn't turn out perfect for us but from what I understand this is a pretty common issue a lot of people run into.
IMG_0147.jpeg

The last bolt is the farthest stretch, you can kind of see where the fender stretched in this picture.

IMG_0148.jpeg

As for hardware, this is what you are looking for, a long enough bolt to bridge the gap between the grill and fender and the largest fender washers you can find to have the most surface area as possible.

IMG_0150.jpeg

This is what the grill should look like in term of hole locations.

IMG_0152.jpeg

The next step is to completely pull your fender and get ready because this thing can be a bit awkward because you will probably have to take it off and put it back on 3-4 times. with the fender take a piece of painter's tape and put it at the full height of the fender next to the edge of the tub, mark your factory holes on your tub on the tape.

IMG_0153.jpeg

Now you want to reinstall your fenders, set the rear height to be flush with the top body line, and apply another piece of masking tape to the fender, the bottom hole is not usable if I remember correctly, as for the lines, please make sure you mark them correctly or it with be a major pain to fix, yes I caught this before drilling but those lines not even close and I don't remember how they ended up so weird, but I did get it correct before drilling.
IMG_0156.jpeg

After you are happy with your lines, pull the fender again and use a speed square to transfer the lines to the inside lip of the fender.

IMG_0158.jpeg

After you've transferred your lines, drill pilot holes in line with the old holes in their new positions, please don't be like us and actually measure it instead of eyeballing it, I am amazed looking back on it that everything lined up. For some adjustability, I did end up ovaling out the holes a bit just so that we could position them as perfectly as possible.
IMG_0162.jpeg

We used a step bit to enlarge the pilot holes, this worked pretty good.

IMG_0171.jpeg

Finally, you need to cut a bit of the metal from the bottom usable hole on the backside to get a bolt in, this concludes the work you have to bolt the fenders up, with the fenders bolted in and that slot cut into the front brace, you should be able to bend the fenders almost all the way down to flat, we weren't able to get it all the way be a lot closer than what it looks like when you first bolt everything together.

IMG_0040.jpeg

With everything said and done, this is how your new highline fender should look.

1699924034806.png

Now unfortunetely most of the rest of the project was completed without much documentation, but fortunately I should be able to use both the information from Higherground4x4 and the few pictures I have to finish out this thread. We retained both brackets because they added too much rigidity to just ignore, Its really as simple as cutting on the line in the picture above for both sides.

IMG_0186.jpeg

To fit the fuse box, notch it like the picture above so that it can slid further down the mounting bracket.

IMG_0190.jpeg

This should be the finished product for your fuse box.

I can only attach 20 photos per post, so I will be posting this and then adding the rest afterward.

Also, I accidentally added this to the general forum instead of the how-to, I don't know how to move it so if @Chris or anyone else that knows how to move it to the how-to section of the forum?

Reactions: Chris
IMG_1150.jpeg

For the intake, we used a flexible tube and air filter, I know how much hate there is behind this style and for good reason but this is what we have access to when we did it and my brother hasn’t had any troubles with it so far.

IMG_1154.jpeg

The battery just barely fits in front of the ecu, and the tie down was moved but again so far he has had no issues with it in its current situation.

IMG_1152.jpeg

My brother replaced his washer reservoir with a small one from autozone and his evap can was mounted using self tappers to the inner fender, a general full of thumb for mounting everything under the hood is if it is under the support bars then it will clear, we used this way of thinking for everything under his hood.

IMG_1151.jpeg

During this whole process, my brother lost his horn, so we replaced it with a generic one from autozone.

On my Jeep I mounted a pair of hella horns to the grill v support, both work and do their job.
IMG_1156.jpeg

I unfortunately was not there for the hood cut, but my dad and brother say they followed the body line and it worked near perfectly.

IMG_1155.jpeg

And finally, my brother used the factory latches and relocated them, I hope this thread is able to help someone in the future and if you have any questions I’ll do my best to answer them!

Reactions: JustDandee and JMT
@Blake Stamper How much up did you gain? Since the fender is mounted higher than before, what did you do to fill the gap at the bottom edge behind the tire? Got any pics from the side of the final product?

@Blake Stamper How much up did you gain? Since the fender is mounted higher than before, what did you do to fill the gap at the bottom edge behind the tire? Got any pics from the side of the final product?

The slider fills a large amount so we didn’t bother to patch it, we haven’t cycle the suspension yet, it appears at ride height he’s at 4.5 with bumps in factory location.
IMG_1158.jpeg

Reactions: LakeBeard
Glad you documented it a little better than I did lol. Great photos snd write up. Mine were raised just over 3in (can’t remember exactly) my issues was fender rubbing because of my wider offset wheel and rather than taking the flare off I did the diy highlines to get the room and because of it I gained about 1.5-2in of uptravel at the shock. ( previous was just under an inch short of the 3in extended bump and still hitting flare at flex) now I run Currie bumps and use all shock and am just shy of hitting the flare. I know some hate how much room I have and how my tires don’t tuck under the flare where it has more room.