A slightly different door lock issue

Nicelil97

So, I have an issue with my passenger side door lock in my '97 TJ, it won't open from the inside by pressing the lock switch or by outside with the key in cold weather, it doesn't have to be very cold, even 32ish degrees. It isn't related to whether someone tries to open it first while it is still locked, like some folks seem to have a problem with. The key just doesn't seem to turn far enough when it's cold out to open the lock and the inside button won't press in far enough. I've lubed the crap out of everything with the door panel off, still no bueno. I have a feeling that one of the rods is just flexing a little more when it's cold and not putting enough pressure on the lock mechanism but it's hard to troubleshoot if it's cold and I can't get the door panel off because the dumb thing thing is stuck closed. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ray

Something for sure needs to be replaced inside. Plastic bits are still made by Crown Automotive but I don't know about the bars used to connect them together, you may have to fab those, I can't find any with a quick search.

If the door won't open at all you may be able to Jimmy it open with something long and thin like a flathead by working the locking latch. I can't go look at mine to see if that's even feasible right now unfortunately. If you can get it off I'd cover it up and bring it inside to work on if you can afford to leave the Jeep up for a bit while you figure it out and get parts in.