A TJ sized camper

whitrzac

TJ Enthusiast
Little guy rascal

20200305_140935.jpg

I've been thinking about one of those small fiberglass types. Around 12' long. A Casita or Scamp. It might be a bit heavy, but hoping the Rubicon gearing and 6 speed can do it. I'm on the east of the country so no "real" mountains to deal with.

I like that! I tow a small pop-up tent trailer behind my TJ but cranking that thing up & down is getting to be a PITA.

Jerry - If you like pop-ups and want something that goes up/down fast and easy you might like one of these. We have a Coachmen Clipper 9.0TD. It goes up and down on gas struts in about 2 minutes and that includes securing the tent portion (Velcro). Like a pop-up we can stand up in it.

19-08-05 1.JPG

19-08-05 5.JPG

Over the years, I've been into small campers like this. Everything that I've read about their campers sounds great. I like their simplistic design. I'd like to see more pictures of the one you have there, too.

I really like the smaller, less extravagant Moby1 campers too. Man, those things are awesome.

I've got a mini camper that I've been building for quite some time. Started from the ground up, while sticking close to the TJ's size. Close to being finished, but yet far away.

Reactions: minimull
Jerry - If you like pop-ups and want something that goes up/down fast and easy you might like one of these. We have a Coachmen Clipper 9.0TD. It goes up and down on gas struts in about 2 minutes and that includes securing the tent portion (Velcro). Like a pop-up we can stand up in it.

View attachment 144426

View attachment 144427
Ooohhh I like that! But I think I'm pretty well stuck with my Coleman Taos Popup as I couldn't sell it for enough to make a big enough dent in the cost of it.. It is a great tent trailer, I just hate having to crank it up/down.

This is mine (red Jeep is my previous TJ)....

IMAG2495.jpg
CIMG2591.jpg

Last edited:
How about swapping out your manual crank jack for electric. They run between $100 to $250

This is a nice one from Reese. Electric with emergency manual override.

Bulldog Black Reese 500199 A-Frame Power Jack 4000
That's not the cranking I'm referring to, I'm talking about the crank at the rear of the trailer that raises and lowers the top which takes 75-80 cranks. That one from Reese is not for the top crank.

• Wow
Reactions: flyinfish
That's not the cranking I'm referring to, I'm talking about the crank at the rear of the trailer that raises and lowers the top which takes 75-80 cranks. That one from Reese is for the front support of the trailer tongue.
Gotcha, it crossed my mind the minute I posted it. I edited my comment to reflect my mistake.

That's a lot of cranking!