About to buy - how's it look?

ayelix

Howdy everyone, I'm getting ready to buy my first Wrangler and I'm looking for some feedback on it or any red flags y'all can see.

The basics:
  • 2003 Wrangler X
  • 95,000 miles
  • Auto trans
  • Hard top
  • $9500
  • Located in FL
Carfax shows 5 owners and 1 accident. Originally purchased in TN then entries in TN, MS, and FL. Here's the accident:
1546717298853.png
Nothing bad stuck out to me on the front end. Maybe the disabling damage was just the radiator?

Photos with comments on some where there are things to point out:
The good:
  • Looks like there is almost no rust. All I could find was surface rust on the rear passenger side around the control arm brackets and around the driveshaft.
  • Transmission rebuilt <1 month ago (I saw the invoice). I think this is a "good" because it means I shouldn't have to do a rebuild anytime soon.
    • I actually stopped taking frame pics after the driver side because the passenger side was identical.
  • New 33's <500 miles (didn't remember to check the brand/model).
  • Drove smooth and straight up to about 50mph (didn't get it on a highway yet).
  • Brakes felt strong.
  • AC works.
The bad:
  • The tires rub. It either isn't lifted at all or not enough to clear them, so at full turn they rub the top of the sway bar links. Also on strong bumps the rears rub the fender.
  • Some signs of electrical weirdness.
    • The interior light only works when the key is on, won't light when it's off.
    • AC blower only work on high, other positions do nothing.
    • Light bar power is cut at the battery because it "wasn't working right". Sounds like it was intermittent, flickering on bumps, not shutting off when told to, etc.
  • Interior is very clean.
The "other":
  • The AC accumulator (I think that's what it is) drips water right on the frame above the control arm bracket. It seems like it would cause rust, but I couldn't find or feel any, inside or outside of the frame. The water dripping off the frame is clean.
  • Vinyl seats in great shape.
  • Missing shifter knob ($25 fix as far as I know).
  • Missing 1 visor.
  • Bumpers are plasti-dipped, no idea what's underneath but probably chrome guessing by the chrome grille.
  • The top has either peeling paint or peeling leftovers from the previous owner's plasti-dip.
What do y'all think? Does anything jump out at you from the pics? Any info I forgot to provide?

Five owners is a bit worrisome, although that can potentially be explained by the bad transmission. Who did the rebuild and will the Jeep remain under warranty?

Check the frame thoroughly, not just for rust but the accident. Is the frame bent? Get it up on a lift and look thoroughly. $9500 is about right for a clean TJ with 95k (I assume Dana 35 in rear), but considering this vehicle's history I wouldn't pay that much.

Reactions: ayelix
Looks like they installed 33’s and didn’t lift it. Definitely needs a lift.

Who did the rebuild and will the Jeep remain under warranty?

It's a reputable and longstanding independent shop, I've gotten several good reviews from people on it. The warranty on the rebuild does NOT transfer to a new owner though. I was surprised to hear that when I called the shop.

Check the frame thoroughly, not just for rust but the accident. Is the frame bent? Get it up on a lift and look thoroughly.

I don't have the experience (or access to a lift) to do this myself so I am going to try to get it to a shop for a pre purchase inspection. Hoping the accident in the history will be good enough leverage to convince the seller to let me do that.

Reactions: bromel and StG58
Looks like they installed 33’s and didn’t lift it. Definitely needs a lift.

...or drop back to 31x10.50's. The 33's should sell pretty quickly.

Get the frame checked for straightness and make an offer. Doesn't look horrible.

Yeah, the tires rub for sure. I'm thinking I'll try to trade for 31s or just buy 31s and hope I can sell the 33s easily enough. Either way, it seems like an easy problem to solve.

Reactions: mots and StG58
Yeah definitely get a pre-purchase inspection. If the owner doesn't allow it, run. The frame looks clean, so it's worth pursuing for sure.

Wheels/tires gotta go. Electrical issues? That would concern me. Get it above 50mph. Most vibe issues with TJ's happen above 50.

Wheels/tires gotta go. Electrical issues? That would concern me. Get it above 50mph. Most vibe issues with TJ's happen above 50.

The only reason I'm not worried about the electrical stuff is that it's all either aftermarket equipment with issues or the interior light, which doesn't seem very serious to me. I kept an eye out for other flickering, intermittent operation, etc and didn't notice any.

Thanks for the vibe tip, I'll make a highway test a condition for the sale and get it up to 65 (70 if I feel brave :p )