ABS sensor and heavy duty axles shafts

fortuso

Hi all,

I'm going to upgrade my TJ tires going from 33s to 35s.
My TJ is equipped with front Dana30 and rear Dana44 axles. The axle shafts are OEM and an ARB locker is in the rear Dana 44.
I use the Jeep at the weekend only doing a soft/moderate offroad (no rock crawling, some snow and mud).
In almost 10k miles no issues occurred running 33' tires (Cooper STT Pro 33x12.5 R15). In order to stay on the same reliability with 35s (Cooper STT Pro), an upgrade of the axle shafts should be done (I suppose). Of course, the best should be to replace the front Dana 30 with an aftermarket Dana 44 but at the moment is outside of my budget. So, I would replace front and rear axles shafts with something stronger (i.e. RGA). I have read a lot about axles and I have some idea about them. Unfortunately, I don't realize if ABS (antilock brake system) will work or not. Looking at the axles shafts pictures I didn't see the ABS sensor wheel. So I suppose the ABS can not work with RGA or RCV.
Do I missing something?

Thank you for your suggestion!

@williambmac: thank you! Is your information for both front and rear? I'm asking because I understood rear axles shafts are sold with bearing already installed.
I know when I replaced the fronts on my 2001 Jeep I had to transfer the tone rings rings from my original shafts. On the rear shafts, I believe you need to order specific shafts for with/without ABS, drum/disc brakes. Then transfer the tone rings.
I ran a ford 8.8 rear axle in my 2001 jeep and used the internal tone ring, which was specific to that rear axle for my abs.

I am sure others will chime in on this.

Edit..... The aftermarket axles that I installed in the rear of my 2005 rubicon, did not come with the bearings preinstalled.
several manufacturers show specific axles depending on w/wo abs and drum/disc. Revolution gear does not. I'm assuming that again you would need to transfer your old tone rings. I would reach out to them via email and verify.

Last edited:
Finally, RCV axles arrived! So I’m going to install them into my Dana 30. As suggested I Removed the abs tone rings from the original 27 spline axles but I realized that RCV site is larger than original site. As a consequence the tone ring doesn’t fit. It seems impossibile that I would fit even after warming up by butane torch (I did not try yet). Is here someone who already Made such a abs tone ring swap? Should I modify the rings for fitting on the rcv axles? Thank you in advance for your suggestion