Absurd

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
Or a good way to find out who understands spindle nuts.

1639152862096.png

Class is in session and I have my notebook ready to learn.

edit; Truly curious. I’ve worked with a few different designs specific to application without concern, but really want to know what’s up with this. Just waiting for the rest of the students to get in their seats.

Last edited:
Looks like the pattern is the same even if you were flip it over to get the pin to line up. I hope I explained that well enough.
Reasonably so. That is Yukon's washer they are sending out now. The older versions are correct with the tab offset to the holes so if the pin doesn't land in a hole, you flip the washer over and that should do it or will with very minor adjustment of the inner spindle nut.

This is how Spicer and Warn did and do it.
1639160195192.png

The reason that matters is the inner spindle nut should be set to deliver 0-5 ft. lbs. of squish on the bearings. The threads are very coarse and you don't have a lot of room for error to get that. Having to turn the pin as much as almost one entire space between the holes is not going to make that easy.

Typically you just use the socket and your hand to snug up the inner with no tools to turn the socket. Then try the washer or flip it over to land a pin in the hole. That sounds low but due to the V thread and tightening the outer to 125-140 which takes the slack out of the V thread and adds more preload on the bearings, it works fine.

Reasonably so. That is Yukon's washer they are sending out now. The older versions are correct with the tab offset to the holes so if the pin doesn't land in a hole, you flip the washer over and that should do it or will with very minor adjustment of the inner spindle nut.

This is how Spicer and Warn did and do it.
View attachment 295537

The reason that matters is the inner spindle nut should be set to deliver 0-5 ft. lbs. of squish on the bearings. The threads are very coarse and you don't have a lot of room for error to get that. Having to turn the pin as much as almost one entire space between the holes is not going to make that easy.

Typically you just use the socket and your hand to snug up the inner with no tools to turn the socket. Then try the washer or flip it over to land a pin in the hole. That sounds low but due to the V thread and tightening the outer to 125-140 which takes the slack out of the V thread and adds more preload on the bearings, it works fine.
That is a very detailed explanation, thanks!

I put my small hub kit on in 7/2021 with the “correct washer”. Is this the first you have seen this?

That is a very detailed explanation, thanks!

I put my small hub kit on in 7/2021 with the “correct washer”. Is this the first you have seen this?
First but this is a kit I've had for several months trying to get Yukon to fix the bearing hubs or replace them. First doesn't mean much anyway since we get the small hub kits that have the bad wheel studs and a week later we'll get one with good ones. They are so inconsistent with what they send out that I can't count on anything being good for more than the single time I have it in front of me.

Reactions: Head Lice and J R