AC evaporator replacement

John Middleton

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
03 TJ. Fixing to do the dreaded dash board removal to Change out AC evaporator (again). Looking for recommendation on best evaporator to buy. MoPar expensive junk as is OReily (cheap junk). What replacement have you used?

I just finished doing this a couple weeks ago. I replaced my evap and heater cores with units from Performance Radiator. Shipping was quick, and they looked like quality units. At least I hope they are cause I wouldn't wish that job on my worst enemy. Took me about 7 hrs. to get it done. If you are doing it solo, like I had to, do yourself a favor and remove the door ajar switches from the a pillars. Chances are high you will break one, or both, when you remove the dash. Replace the receiver/dryer while you are in there. Mine had about 4 ounces of dye in the bottom of it. I found it easier to remove the passenger seat and the front portion of the console. If yours is a manual, the shifter is easy to remove to get out of your way. I reclined my driver seat an put the console on there.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I used a MOPAR Evap core (and a MOPAR heater core) a couple years ago when I replaced mine. It wasn't cheap, but I figured the original lasted about 12 years so I hope these do too.

I've heard the Performance Radiator brand @bobthetj03 recommended are pretty good.

Reactions: bobthetj03
If I were to replace mine (hopefully I didn't jinx myself) I would go with Performance Radiator parts if Mopar wasn't an option.

Reactions: bobthetj03