AC vent problem

Jcraig

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Lost the control nob and the louver to which it is attached down the RH side vent down into the duct work. Have tried various hooks, two sided tape attached to a wire, and combinations of shop vac tubing attachments, leaf blower blowing in the LH side alone and in sync with the shop vac on the RH side. Without an inspection camera to at least see the problem I believe it is now located in the middle of the cross duct. Perhaps it is now time to either leave it or access the bottom duct work to remove it. What does it entail to drop the duct at the bottom? Could it damage the system if left there?

Put in new vent today after deciding to leave it there rather than take apart the dash. Spent hours on it, So probably could have taken out the dash.

You mentioned inspection cameras. I seen some that work with an iPhone (probably some that work with other phones) that has a hook attachment. That might work.

The tubes to the upper vents feed into the HVAC box, which also supplies the lower vents. The upper and lower vents aren’t directly connected. If you can’t get it from the top, it might have fallen all the way down to the box, which is a huge paint to remove.

The tubes to the upper vents feed into the HVAC box, which also supplies the lower vents. The upper and lower vents aren’t directly connected. If you can’t get it from the top, it might have fallen all the way down to the box, which is a huge paint to remove.
Tried the inspection camera and a retrieving claw but even though I could see it I couldn't grab it with the claw. It is just going to have to stay. Hope it can't get to any moving parts to damage.

You mentioned inspection cameras. I seen some that work with an iPhone (probably some that work with other phones) that has a hook attachment. That might work.
Have tried this but the hook just continually slipped off. Tried a grabbing claw also but moved the piece just out of range and finally in frustration decided to replace the vent and leave the adjuster in the system hoping it can't work its way into the fan.

Reactions: MountaineerTom