Actual seat upholstery (not covers)

That's not a bad price! I'm bracing for a higher quote but I would be stoked if it's around that.

You're so right! Another benefit of having a simple design.

I'd expect maybe $1000 at the most personally. Any higher than that and they are either overcharging, or the cost is the materials (for instance, if you pick leather, it would obviously cost a lot more).

Reactions: Allstar424
I just got these from lseats.com. They feel pretty nice... but we'll see...

https://www.lseat.com/products/1997-2002-jeep-wrangler-tj-custom-real-leather-seat-covers-front.html
Anyone know how to put them on? They are replacements and not covers. I just got a pack of hog rings and pliers from Amazon and I guess I'll go down to the garage and give it whirl.

IMG_4308.jpg

https://www.lseat.com/products/1997-2002-jeep-wrangler-tj-custom-real-leather-seat-covers-front.html
Anyone know how to put them on? They are replacements and not covers. I just got a pack of hog rings and pliers from Amazon and I guess I'll go down to the garage and give it whirl.

View attachment 175602

Oooh, post photos once you get them installed!

You need hog ring pliers to install them and a lot of patience. If you haven't done it before, sometimes it's easier to take them to an upholstery shop.

View attachment 175602

TJ seats are fairly easy, let them sit in the sun for a bit before you try to put them on. Sometimes slipping a garbage bag over the foam makes the cover easier To slide on. Just make sure you can rip the bag and slide it out.

@Drifter, would be really nice to see how it turned out. I'm starting to look for replacement seat "skins" for my TJ and, as Chris has pointed out, there's little to nothing available out there.

These leather ones seem to be one of the few (only) actual replacement covers out there, and at $349 for front and another $349 for rear seem reasonably priced. I'd love to find some stock-looking cloth ones but if the leather ones are nice, be tempting... Oh, and curious on the material choice for the sides and back, is it all leather or vinyl on sides and back? I should call those guys and ask, and ask if they have photos of their product actually installed on a TJ seat...

Other thoughts... Does anyone make replacement foam for the cushions? Oh, and does anyone have a favorite Jeep wrecking yard? I'm not finding anything locally in CA Bay Area.

Thanks,
Alex.

You can buy the original upholstery from SMS Auto Fabrics. You can take the material to your local upholstery shop and have them use it to re-cover your seats. But I am warning you now: it won't be cheap. But you get what you pay for; nothing is going to beat the quality of OEM seat material. Fill out the form and they will send you samples. I already used them to get the exact OEM material for my 1985 Ford F150 a few years ago. I ordered the exact [Pueblo Cloth] upholstery for my 1998 Jeep a few months ago and it is a perfect match in every way.

https://smsautofabrics.com/

Reactions: AndyA and Chris
My local upholstery shop wanted $350 each. I found a pair of used seats from a Sahara for $100. I've decided I don't want Sahara seats in my Sport. So I bought Bestop seat covers. They are really tough material but don't fit snug enough to my liking. I'm wondering about adapting other seats. Can I just mount other seats to my existing base frames? Will I still be able to slide them forward and tumble them up against the dash for access into the rear seat?
new seats 2.jpg
seat cover 3.jpg

My local upholstery shop wanted $350 each. I found a pair of used seats from a Sahara for $100. I've decided I don't want Sahara seats in my Sport. So I bought Bestop seat covers. They are really tough material but don't fit snug enough to my liking. I'm wondering about adapting other seats. Can I just mount other seats to my existing base frames? Will I still be able to slide them forward and tumble them up against the dash for access into the rear seat?
View attachment 270876 View attachment 270874

I never cared for the Sahara seats, either.

And no seat cover is ever going to fit snug enough.

$350 per seat sounds about right.

Thanks TJRick. I'm still wondering if other seats will mount to the existing seat frame, and if I'll be able to tip them forward to access the rear seat. Any idea?

Why change out the seats? Nothing aftermarket is ever going to be as good as stock seats.

I think the seats in my 1998 Sport are plenty comfortable. Some people think the taller 2003 - 2006 seats are better, but I think they look ridiculous.

My driver seat is starting to tear along the seam and my passenger seat pull tab tore off years ago. I was hoping to get new OEM seats but apparently their isn't such a thing. I just want some nice looking seats that will still work for getting in and out of the rear seat area.

You can buy the original upholstery from SMS Auto Fabrics. You can take the material to your local upholstery shop and have them use it to re-cover your seats. But I am warning you now: it won't be cheap. But you get what you pay for; nothing is going to beat the quality of OEM seat material. Fill out the form and they will send you samples. I already used them to get the exact OEM material for my 1985 Ford F150 a few years ago. I ordered the exact [Pueblo Cloth] upholstery for my 1998 Jeep a few months ago and it is a perfect match in every way.

Yep, I know folks from the SVO Mustang club who have gotten the original seat cloth when they've redone their seats. SMS buys OEM materials whenever they can find it.

Pulled the upholstery off my 06. If someone is near NJ, can make a deal. Not sure worth to ship.
Not perfect, but pretty good shape for the age and no major rips or holes

0950495B-170B-458C-990A-E7FF235B6539.jpeg

4761BD39-8942-47D0-8359-7BD5F53BA704.jpeg

It doesn't say what the actual type of material is used, and I seriously doubt they manufacture them in Anaheim, CA. Likely, Anaheim is just a local import, and they are made overseas. For that price though, it might be worth the risk, especially if they use PayPal. Note though, installing these seats is not like slip ons. Then, if your foam is as damaged as mine was, it HAS TO be replaced before you put on new seat upholstery. I took off my rear seat upholstery and it was a nightmare. Don't even think about lseats.com They are horrible. They have likely gone out of business by now anyway. I recently had my seats done in two tone leather, and installed front and back. It's not cheap, but easily cheaper than the 3 grand plus that guys are spending here on lifts and rims. My front and back installed were $1100, and I got a new spice leather steering wheel for $395. I had to pay an extra $100 to fix all my foam too. The foam was destroyed on the driver's seat and bad in the rear seat. Like I said, not cheap. You just have to pick your poison.