Add sub to console: 6.75" factory enclosure or 8" console mod

GEEP4ME

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Wondering if there'd be any sound difference between, say a Kicker 6.75" replacement to a factory sub enclosure in the console, vs, modding a non-sub console to use an 8" Kicker like HERE. Cost to me would be about the same. With the factory sub, I'd have to buy the factory enclosure. With the 8" mod, I'd have to buy some supplies/tools. The cost of the actual sub speakers look to be about the same. I'd want the factory sub console tray, so that's the same cost either way.

So, wondering about possible sound difference between the 2 set ups.

Also, since I'd need an amp for the sub, should I go with a 5 channel for the rest of my stuff, or just a single channel for the sub. I have a JVC KD-R9508BT aftermarket head unit, Kicker 5.25" in pods in the front and 6.5" in the soundbar.

Gotta buy an amp anyway, so, thoughts?

Last edited:
If you're a younger guy who cruises with the music extra loud then yeah go for the 8". For most the standard size puts out enough bass to satisfy most people when inside a Jeep.

Reactions: GEEP4ME
Not an extra loud younger guy, LOL.

If I'm looking at this correctly (I don't know much abut audio ratings, etc), with regards to the choices available and what I'm leaning towards, The 1 ohm 6.75" Kicker is recommending a 150 RMS watt amp (300 peak watts) amp. 100-150 watts looks to be the sweet spot according to their chart. Wiring the 1 ohm sub in parallel (equalling 1/2 ohm), it looks like the amp would be supplying 200 watts. With the 2 ohm version wired in parallel, it would be 100 watts from the 1 ohm result.

Is the 2 ohm/100 watt the more ideal configuration? Does the real world indicate the other configuration is better?

6.75 1 ohm Kicker
6.75 2 ohm Kicker
Kicker PXA200.1

The amp looks like it might be in the process of being phased out. Or it could be just covid availablity issues. But is still available for a short time. But, what would be a reasonable replacement, or option besides the PXA200.1? I like the size of it, and also somewhat staying with same-brand items. But mainly the size aspect is appealing.

I followed Jerry's write up on what speakers and amp to go with (6 1/2" kicker) and I have more than enough thump. Amp not even cranked up. (In my opinion) you can easily overpower the front and rollbar speakers with just the 6 1/2".