Adjustable front track bar and dropped pitman arm?

RL_MJ

Installing a 4’ lift on a 98 TJ wondering if I need to install the pitman arm drop if I’m upgrading the OEM track bar to an RE adjustable front track bar ? Unclear on the other threads.

Absolutely do not install a dropped pitman arm. The only time a dropped pitman arm is needed is when the track bar has a drop bracket on it as well (which shouldn't be necessary unless you're buying an adjustable track bar from a company who doesn't know how what they're doing), or if you have some sort of insane lift height (i.e. 10") where a lot of changes (such as a dropped pitman arm) are necessary.

If I'm understanding , you need a dropped track bar mount if you install a dropped pitman arm , and a stock pitman arm if the track bar utilizes the stock mount. Dont use a dropped pitman arm arm with a stock track bar mount .

The track bar and drag link should be parallel when all is set up correctly.

Basically I'm echoing Chris , just wording it differently.

Last edited:
Reactions: RL_MJ
Absolutely do not install a dropped pitman arm. The only time a dropped pitman arm is needed is when the track bar has a drop bracket on it as well (which shouldn't be necessary unless you're buying an adjustable track bar from a company who doesn't know how what they're doing), or if you have some sort of insane lift height (i.e. 10") where a lot of changes (such as a dropped pitman arm) are necessary.
So on the kits instructions it’s asking me to drill a hole and use oem track bar mount , can I get away with just installing the adjustable and using stock pitman arm then ?

With a. Adjustable u can use the stock hole. What track bar r u using. Just want to give u a heads up I got the jks and I needed a 9/16 metal drill bit to widen the hole on one side

So on the kits instructions it’s asking me to drill a hole and use oem track bar mount , can I get away with just installing the adjustable and using stock pitman arm then ?

Yes - as @Chris and @AndyG said. Since you are using the stock track bar mount you will not need the dropped pitman.

With a. Adjustable u can use the stock hole. What track bar r u using. Just want to give u a heads up I got the jks and I needed a 9/16 metal drill bit to widen the hole on one side

JKS requires a 9/16 drill bit to enlarge the track bar's upper mounting hole, while Rubicon Express and Currie are a 5/8 drill bit.

Yep, you are correct!

An adjustable length trackbar eliminates the need to drill a new mounting bolt hole in the passenger-side track bar mount. Drilling a hole to move the front track bar over is only done as a band-aid fix when a non-adjustable track bar is being used. So if you're installing an adjustable length track bar, don't drill that hole.

Once the taller springs are installed, adjust the track bar length this way. With the Jeep sitting on the ground, assist the Jeep so it can self-center itself over the new springs by standing on the front bumper and using your body weight to move the Jeep up & down. The Jeep should be well centered after that. Bolt the driver's side of the track bar in place, then adjust the track bar's length so its passenger side mounting bolt hole is matches its mounting bracket's bolt hole. Install the passenger side and you're done.

Whether or not you need a dropped Pitman arm depends on what track bar you're installing. If you're installing the RE1610 that bolts to the factory driver's side track bar mount the OE factory Pitman arm is what should be used. Of RE's two different front track bars, this is the only one I'd use.

If you're installing the RE1610 track bar, which I had and don't recommend, that requires the RE1611 dropped track bar mount which requires a dropped Pitman arm.

Reactions: TJMIKE