Advanced Adapters Rubicrawler: For those with Rubicon & 42RLE

Hey @Chris, I know it's been some time since this thread was alive, just wondering if you've gotten any serious seat time checking out the RubiCrawler...getting closer to pulling the trigger. This thing is the main reason I always wanted the 42RLE in a Wrangler...

Hey @Chris, I know it's been some time since this thread was alive, just wondering if you've gotten any serious seat time checking out the RubiCrawler...getting closer to pulling the trigger. This thing is the main reason I always wanted the 42RLE in a Wrangler...

Ask @toximus how he likes it. He bought my TJ from me.

I owed (thankfully not anymore) a good amount of money to the IRS who had put a lien on my house. I ended up having to sell the TJ to pay off that debt.

I'm going to save up some money over the next year or so and start looking for an AEV LJ, which is ultimately my dream vehicle.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Ok, what about it @toximus? What do you think of the RubiCrawler?

Wow. Chris had to sell his (in)famous TJ...I must be living under a rock, I knew nothing of this...
I have only had the chance to use my RC on a handful of obstacles, ledges. The RC combined with a hand throttle made the control very easy. Little to no bouncing or spinning.

I know a guy that is selling a Klune V. He removed it from a LJ AEV build. If you’re interested let me know and I will give you his information.

I'm not that up on what a Klune V is, but searching seems to indicate it lowers your low range. Does not seem comparable to the RC. I'm looking for the higher low range option the RC gives you.

Ok, what about it @toximus? What do you think of the RubiCrawler?

Wow. Chris had to sell his (in)famous TJ...I must be living under a rock, I knew nothing of this...

Hmm... where to start...

I had been thinking about purchasing a Rubicrawler for my red LJ which has a NP231 because I just don't like the 2.71 ratio for anything. For snow wheeling it's difficult to keep the tires going a consistent speed so the solution is more torque. I hadn't had really any quantity of time with a NP241 (Rubicon transfer case) so I figured a 7.40 ratio sounded good.

I took the khaki Jeep (35s, 5.38 gears, and 42RLE) offroad on a light rock trail in Johnson Valley and I found that I was happy in 4lo (4:1 ratio). Between rock sections through the sand (15mph+) I shifted back into high (1:1 ratio). Foot off the gas in 4lo I was able to let it idle going up hill. For the rocky hill climb that I did the week earlier I just let it rip in 2hi. The one time that I used "double low" (10.88:1) was to get up on a set of car ramps front and rear that I kept messing up getting onto and they'd slide out from under — in this scenario the lower ratio smoothed out my foot a bit, we were rushing before sunset and I think it got to me, I would consider this driver error.

In these experiences I have a difficult time recommending the Rubicrawler on a properly setup Jeep and will actually be holding off on buying one for under my red LJ until I decide I actually want anything more than 4:1. I don't want the 2.71 ratio in my red LJ.

The Rubicrawler may be perfectly suited for a manual Jeep where you DO want a lower ratio (but obviously this product doesn't fit), or MAYBE if you had a NP231 (2.71) with a Dana 30 front and could go with the shallower 5.13 gears in the diffs.

To get deeper offroad ratios into a Jeep with the 2.71 swapping in a Rubicon 241 is expensive for a chain driven design in my opinion, if you can even find one... The Rubicrawler ends up going too deep and also costs a lot. I will probably end up looking into an Atlas someday to get the gearing I want. With some dimpling an Atlas fits with a tummy tuck so there's little issue there (fits similar to a NP241J), and the outputs are short enough to allow for safe driveline angles. Right now I don't have the time to install one so I'm sticking with the NP231J.

To give a definitive answer, I need to do a lot more wheeling with it than I have in more types of terrain. The Rubicrawler does give you options and a fun extra lever to play with but if those options aren't what you want, what good is having options?

Last edited:
Reactions: tomtaylz
Hmm... where to start...

I had been thinking about purchasing a Rubicrawler for my red LJ which has a NP231 because I just don't like the 2.71 ratio for anything. For snow wheeling it's difficult to keep the tires going a consistent speed so the solution is more torque. I hadn't had really any quantity of time with a NP241 (Rubicon transfer case) so I figured a 7.40 ratio sounded good.

I took the khaki Jeep (35s, 5.38 gears, and 42RLE) offroad on a light rock trail in Johnson Valley and I found that I was happy in 4lo (4:1 ratio). Between rock sections through the sand (15mph+) I shifted back into high (1:1 ratio). Foot off the gas in 4lo I was able to let it idle going up hill. For the rocky hill climb that I did the week earlier I just let it rip in 2hi. The one time that I used "double low" (10.88:1) was to get up on a set of car ramps front and rear that I kept messing up getting onto and they'd slide out from under — in this scenario the lower ratio smoothed out my foot a bit, we were rushing before sunset and I think it got to me, I would consider this driver error.

In these experiences I have a difficult time recommending the Rubicrawler on a properly setup Jeep and will actually be holding off on buying one for under my red LJ until I decide I actually want anything more than 4:1. I don't want the 2.71 ratio in my red LJ.

To give a definitive answer, I need to do a lot more wheeling with it than I have in more types of terrain. The Rubicrawler does give you options and a fun extra lever to play with but if those options aren't what you want, what good is having options?
Would you say that your 5.38 gears have a lot of bearing on how you perceive the RC to be working for the TJ, and affecting how you think it would work in a 'properly set up Jeep?

In my case, the 4:1 TC is just too low in 4-lo, and too high in 4-hi for any higher speed situations like sand or sandy hills, even with my stock 4.10 axle gearing...

Would you say that your 5.38 gears have a lot of bearing on how you perceive the RC to be working for the TJ, and affecting how you think it would work in a 'properly set up Jeep?

In my case, the 4:1 TC is just too low in 4-lo, and too high in 4-hi for any higher speed situations like sand or sandy hills, even with my stock 4.10 axle gearing...

I do think that the 5.38 gears are part of a "properly setup Jeep" if it has Dana 44s and 35s. So is having an engine that fires correctly and is putting out the HP and torque it's supposed to.

I wish I did more sand dunes to help answer your question. I've been meaning to make it out to Silver Lake in MI so maybe this summer I'll take this one over there.

I have stalled out the 35" tires with the 5.38 gearing in deep sticky snow. Peddle to the floor and the tires don't even move. Obviously going into 4lo solves that problem.

4.10 to 5.38 is a jump and that may benefit you. Your other option may be looking into a supercharger.

The price is on Advanced Adapters web site, mine was around $1800 or so & I love it! I use it more for downhill than up. Coasting down a shelf road in Rubi low where stock low is too low & hi is too hi. Multipul options when descending different degrees is also really nice. Also just cruising at low speed where stock low is too low & high is too hi, lots of choices, wish I had bought one years ago.

@glwood , I do have the price as last week noted on my office somewhere. I’m out with my daugther soon back will re posted here. Is pretty tricky buy this Rubicrawler.

@glwood
Last Thursday I do spoke with Scott on AA and he quote the Rubicrawler to me on $1875.00 before tax collected, this include the shifter as according to Scott I can't add the parts to the shifter I do already get from them and Mathew told me AA was able to sold the part to be add to allocate the RC portion once I get it. $1585.00 without shifter. AA also charge $125.00 for shipping.

4WP CLE quoted to me $2163.82 taxes included. On a good sales event it can be shop by littler lower price or not taxes paid.

I do test the RC on two different TJ's 241 and 231 TC, both with 35" tires on different terrains. Hard to tell you how much I like it but at the same time not seem to be the product for my LJ project. If I do pull the trigger ion it I will stay with the 231J TC. Let's see, I still need to sleep with it little more.