Advice of how to track down either a squeal or whistle from the engine bay?

aspyker

Looking for advice of how to track down either a squeal or whistle from the engine bay.

If I take the 03 TJ (4L Straight-6) out and drive under 20 mph in the neighborhood, no problem. I off-roaded yesterday for a few hours at slow speeds and heard absolutely nothing. As soon as I get up to about 35 mph, if I start to coast I hear either a squeal or whistle from the engine bay once I idle down to 1500 rpms. I can make the noise go away by revving the engine back to 2000 rpms. I can also "control" the whistle in sound/tone, by hitting the gas and letting off.

The noise continues for 30-60 seconds if I come to a complete stop at a light. If I turn off the engine it stops. If I park the Jeep, within 30-60 seconds the noise will stop. I can't seem to get the noise to happen or remain by revving the engine in neutral. The fact that I have to get the Jeep onto a road at higher speeds and then pull over, unlatch the hood, and try to diagnose within 30 seconds is making it impossible to find.

I first focused on the belt driven accessories. I replaced the original idler pulley, the tensioner (and pulley), and the belt. I sprayed water on the belt after pulling over during the sound and it didn't seem to make it go away any faster than the normal 30-60 seconds. I used an automotive stethoscope to see if I could find the problem on the pulleys and couldn't before the noise goes away. I was able to check the alternator and replaced pulleys. I wasn't able to figure out how to get the stethoscope to the fan clutch or lower pulleys (AC, power steering, crank, water pump).

My garage is thinking that this might be a vacuum hose leak based on it sounding like a whistle to them and not a squeal, but they couldn't confirm as the noise stopped after 30 seconds of showing up there. I have read about pinching and using sprays to pinpoint hose leaks, but again, this would mean I'd have to get the sound reproducing for a longer period of time.

If you think based on the description that you'd know what it is that is great and let me know.

However, I'm mostly wondering if there is a trick I don't know of to keep the engine going in such a way that I can hear the sound for a longer period of time to track it down.

Something very similar happened to me a bit ago although I didn't record it as well as you.
For me their was a crack in the throttle body, after it got to a certain point the crack was big enough to make a noise. I just ended up putting JB wield over it and haven't heard it since.

Jack up the rear axle and put it on jack stands. Chock the front wheels well. This will allow you to run the engine in gear and simulate driving on road to reproduce the sound. It should allow you to have the hood up and someone at the engine bay (on the side for safety sake) ready to try and locate the noise.

I'm betting a intake leak. If you can duplicate the noise, spray soapy water from a spray bottle along the intake.

Jack up the rear axle and put it on jack stands. Chock the front wheels well. This will allow you to run the engine in gear and simulate driving on road to reproduce the sound. It should allow you to have the hood up and someone at the engine bay (on the side for safety sake) ready to try and locate the noise.
Thanks. This is the kind of advise I was looking for. A working mans dyno.

Seriously, the description suggests vacuum or intake. Find a shop with a "smoke machine" or other leak detector to test for leaks. You can also find DIY versions of these tools on Ebay, etc. and do the testing yourself.
Will check this out. Thanks for the advise!

My whistle (after letting off throttle when the engine is hot/high/extended RPM) is caused by a loose manifold bolt. The rear one works it's way loose every 5,000 miles or so. I do not know if the bolt is the cause or a symptom of something bigger, but tightening it fixes it for me for about a year. That reminds me, mine just came back. I need to tighten that bolt before I get the engine too hot to touch again

When I had young children I would put one under the hood and drive around the block.

When they finally stopped screaming I would ask about strange engine sounds.
My kids are a bit too large for this these days. Great idea.
Looking for advice of how to track down either a squeal or whistle from the engine bay.

If I take the 03 TJ (4L Straight-6) out and drive under 20 mph in the neighborhood, no problem. I off-roaded yesterday for a few hours at slow speeds and heard absolutely nothing. As soon as I get up to about 35 mph, if I start to coast I hear either a squeal or whistle from the engine bay once I idle down to 1500 rpms. I can make the noise go away by revving the engine back to 2000 rpms. I can also "control" the whistle in sound/tone, by hitting the gas and letting off.

The noise continues for 30-60 seconds if I come to a complete stop at a light. If I turn off the engine it stops. If I park the Jeep, within 30-60 seconds the noise will stop. I can't seem to get the noise to happen or remain by revving the engine in neutral. The fact that I have to get the Jeep onto a road at higher speeds and then pull over, unlatch the hood, and try to diagnose within 30 seconds is making it impossible to find.

I first focused on the belt driven accessories. I replaced the original idler pulley, the tensioner (and pulley), and the belt. I sprayed water on the belt after pulling over during the sound and it didn't seem to make it go away any faster than the normal 30-60 seconds. I used an automotive stethoscope to see if I could find the problem on the pulleys and couldn't before the noise goes away. I was able to check the alternator and replaced pulleys. I wasn't able to figure out how to get the stethoscope to the fan clutch or lower pulleys (AC, power steering, crank, water pump).

My garage is thinking that this might be a vacuum hose leak based on it sounding like a whistle to them and not a squeal, but they couldn't confirm as the noise stopped after 30 seconds of showing up there. I have read about pinching and using sprays to pinpoint hose leaks, but again, this would mean I'd have to get the sound reproducing for a longer period of time.

If you think based on the description that you'd know what it is that is great and let me know.

However, I'm mostly wondering if there is a trick I don't know of to keep the engine going in such a way that I can hear the sound for a longer period of time to track it down.
So I decided to just try tightening the manifold bolts and so far whistle is gone. Back bolt was, as many folks online guessed, a quarter turn loose.

My whistle (after letting off throttle when the engine is hot/high/extended RPM) is caused by a loose manifold bolt. The rear one works it's way loose every 5,000 miles or so. I do not know if the bolt is the cause or a symptom of something bigger, but tightening it fixes it for me for about a year. That reminds me, mine just came back. I need to tighten that bolt before I get the engine too hot to touch again
Yes, Tightened mine and whistle is gone for now. Thanks!

Reactions: IrishWake