Advice on Buying Built Jeep TJ

TitanFlyer

Hey there. I have not been a jeep owner for a long time. My last one was a new JK Sahara Hardtop I bought at dealership. Since then I have been messing around with other kinds of vehicles for off-road, like mostly motorcycles.

My son is about to turn 16 so we are trying to make sure there is a car for him to drive that is somewhat cool (his request) but also safe. Jeep doesn’t typically jump to mind when you use those qualifications, but when I dropped him off at school the other day, the student parking lot was FILLED with Jeeps, Bronco’s (old and new), and other lifted vehicles like Pathfinders and Taco’s etc.

So, I started looking for a TJ for him as thats the one that I want as well. As I started looking I also started reading up on peoples builds and doing R&D on parts and process to build myself. It turns out its WAYYYY cheaper to let someone else do all the work and then buy it from them, but also can be scary if they cut corners or use parts that don’t make sense, or don’t actually put the right stuff on it. I just don’t know what to look for, so I came here to ask for your help.

This might not be the right forum to do this, and if it isn’t, please move it to where it belongs and accept my apologies. I am hoping you guys with a lot of experience seeing people make huge mistakes or getting lucky with a purchase can take a look at this build and tell me what I should be asking. Whats missing, whats questionable, etc. As I keep looking I have decided the boy can drive his moms SUV and I can drive this as my daily. I have a weekend convertible already, so this would be for camping and off roading in the NC area (some overlanding).

Thanks in advance, and if I am just being dumb, please let me know. No ego here, I don’t want to dump a bunch of cash into a mistake. If you don’t want to publicly say anything negative about the builder, or the build, please private message me.

https://davisautosports.com/orange-wrangler-1j4fa49s56p745260

Appreciate the help.
Regards,
James

What kind of off reading are you planning on doing? A stock TJ is very capable already. I'd hate to see you throw away money for unnecessary mods especially if they are a downgrade from stock. The linked Jeep is full of problems and worth far less then their asking price. I'd be hesitant even at a reasonable price. They have damaged that Jeep more than they have improved it.

I would personally look for a stock Jeep that had been well taken care of. Unless you know the builder of the Jeep a "built" rig can be full of surprises that can require more time and money to correct than just doing it right the first time.

Reactions: dvngdg
Appreciate the help. I honestly love the look of an overland type vehicle. I just don’t have the time or knowledge to do it myself.

I figured the price would be a sticking point with many, but I have come to the place where buying is way more appealing.

Guess I will keep looking.

Reactions: GPK03X
Davis Auto uses a lot of cheap chinese sourced parts. They do seem to clean up well in, out, and under the Jeep.

In the Jeep and off road world, it takes time and a lot of reading to understand what to look for when it comes to something being done right and with quality sourced parts. Even done right can be highly debatable.

As much as they want for that Wrangler, I would expect better parts vs a lot of the chines parts, deeper gears in the axles, upgraded shafts, smaller tires, and a better attention to detail under the Jeep when spraying the frame.

I’m kinda surprised they didn’t mention every single nut/bolt/washer they replaced as “Brand New”, also.
Looks overpriced for a cheap lift, and I’m not a fan of the jungle gym and wheels, but that’s just my opinion

Look for something close to stock. That way you don't have to worry about other people's mistakes. Once you figure out what YOU want, you can build it that way. Most of what we do is not much more complicated that "Take Off the Old Part and Install the New Part".
There's not that much you can/ need to do to the engine for upgrades, just replacing parts or sensors as needed. Suspensions are not particularly difficult, but must be done right and NOT cheaply. Axles are more complex, it's worth having a shop do them unless you have the experience AND tools. Bumpers, body armor, lights and such aren't hard either.
If you're doing it WITH your son, you'll both learn something AND have quality time together that will last a lifetime.

Thanks everyone. My son has zero interest in building anything… he can’t figure out why I don’t just hand him the keys to the porsche in the garage.

I will keep an eye out for a decent jeep. I think based on what I am hearing here that I should maybe just buy a newer Rubicon or something and build it up over time.

• Sad
Reactions: ranger101
Man, I didn’t even see the pictures before I made my first post. Unbelievable that they would build that like that and price it like that. The sad part is some unknowing person will buy it. The dang thing has a transfer case drop,Hi lift on the hood,stock axles that should break shortly. Not to mention stock size brakes.

Thanks everyone. My son has zero interest in building anything… he can’t figure out why I don’t just hand him the keys to the porsche in the garage.

I will keep an eye out for a decent jeep. I think based on what I am hearing here that I should maybe just buy a newer Rubicon or something and build it up over time.

Then I would not advocate for a built Jeep.

Once modified, more maintenance is usually called for. It’s not often a modified Jeep breaking other things down the line and calling again, for another need to get it in the garage and break out the tools.

Reactions: LONGJP2
Man, I didn’t even see the pictures before I made my first post. Unbelievable that they would build that like that and price it like that. The sad part is some unknowing person will buy it. The dang thing has a transfer case drop,Hi lift on the hood,stock axles that should break shortly. Not to mention stock size brakes.

OP just wants something for the looks, street driving isnt gonna break an axle, not impossible, but less likely.

But yea agree with you everywhere else. It looks like the “builder” just threw some parts at it.

It's nice and clean. But the lift kit is complete garbage. The bumpers, tube fenders, side steps, corner armor, roof rack and basket are all Ebay Specials or Smittybilt, The only good parts I saw were the rims and exhaust system.

Is there a known builder out there that has a great reputation as building quality jeeps? I do want to overland with something, and I tried it with my Raptor, but it was just too damn big for the trails around here. I would love some advice on where to go to find stuff that can be trusted.

Is there a known builder out there that has a great reputation as building quality jeeps? I do want to overland with something, and I tried it with my Raptor, but it was just too damn big for the trails around here. I would love some advice on where to go to find stuff that can be trusted.

Blaine.

Not sure I have enough to go on there…lol

Blaine who, and where?

He's here on this forum. Goes by MrBlaine. He's in California though so a pretty far trip from you. He's the only "SHOP" I would trust to just drop off my Jeep and a pile of cash and know that it would be done right.

Reactions: tr21triton

If your son just thinks he deserves to be handed the keys to ANYTHING, find him a mid 90s Toyota.
A newer Jeep is NOT a TJ. They are a completely different animal. Most here, if they would HAVE a newer Jeep, wouldn't consider it as good a "Jeep" as a TJ.