Advice on choosing a locker

YellaTJ

Ride of the Month Winner
Afternoon,

I'm looking to put a rear locker to start in my TJ sport. Just asking for advice on brands, types, and people's personel experiences.

Looking at doing an Aussie, thoughts, opinions, or gripes?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Depends, do you have a 44 or 35? If 35 you'll need some stronger axles to go along with the locker. Generally a lunch box locker isn't recommended although I ran a No Slip in the rear on my XJ and it worked great. Disclaimer; the XJ has a longer wheelbase and it was an auto.

All that said, the Detroit locker is superb; ARB is also well tested and very popular.

Afternoon,

I'm looking to put a rear locker to start in my TJ sport. Just asking for advice on brands, types, and people's personel experiences.

Looking at doing an Aussie, thoughts, opinions, or gripes?

Thanks in advance
I found a set of Rubicon axles on craigslist in order to get lockers in mine. As a bonus they come from the factory with a 4.10 gear ratio.

Depends, do you have a 44 or 35? If 35 you'll need some stronger axles to go along with the locker. Generally a lunch box locker isn't recommended although I ran a No Slip in the rear on my XJ and it worked great. Disclaimer; the XJ has a longer wheelbase and it was an auto.

All that said, the Detroit locker is superb; ARB is also well tested and very popular.

I have the Dana 35, I'm not planning to go full out with my Jeep, but would like to have more than just my current 2 drive wheels, part time 4x4 "BS".

Plenty of people have faith in a locked Super 35 for tires up to 33s. as long as you don't plan on going to 35s, a super 35 would be just fine. in fact, it's stronger than a Dana 44 is straight from the factory.

a kit with a locker will run you around $1,000 (off the top of my head)

I've been reading, it sounds like I'd be better off putting a locker in the front Dana 30 rather than the rear Dana 35?

Fyi, I do not have a super 35 rear end (I wish I did).

The Super 35 is a kit you install. Includes hardened axles and a locker of various brands. A "lunchbox" style locker in front would be a good way to go. I run the Aussie locker in front and a Truetrac in rear (Dana 35/stock axles) and it gets me where I want to go.

Have you.looked at Ox lockers? They don't get as much attention maybe cuz you have to mount a shift lever to mechanically engage the locker.
I like Ox only cuz to me it's 'more jeepy' :)