Advice on coolant system and damage

thisismyusername

Okay, so let me start by saying I don't know much about fixing cars, but consider myself handy and want to learn more about fixing them, and having a 4x4 is fun. Two weeks ago I picked up a 5-speed 1999 Jeep Wrangler with a 4.0L 6 cylinder engine with the intent to work on it. The previous owner bought it at an auction sight unseen with a similar purpose, and overheated the engine b/c upon driving it realized (afterwards) the radiator hoses weren't even connected. He pulled the engine himself to work on it and realized how much of a job it was, so he took it to a shop and had the engine rebuilt, then re-installed it. He videotaped the whole process so I felt okay about it. I drove the thing roughly 200 miles without a problem from where I bought it, and have been driving it around town a little. I did realize that it's running really cool, like, no where near 210 degF, maybe at 150 degF. I checked this with an ODB2 reader and noted that the engine block is not very hot. A friend recommended the thermostat might be bad although the previous owner did say he replaced it. So, I pulled the thermostat out to take a look and it looks cockeyed/damaged, and I'm pretty sure it was always open, so the engine is always cooling. I also have no heat in the cabin at all, or rather, just luke-warm air.

When I pulled the thermostat housing and hoses coolant went everywhere...I don't know why I didn't think to drain it first. Anyway, I replaced the thermostat with a quality one and asked a friend if I should bother cranking it to see if there was any affect, even though I knew there was low coolant (but definitely still some) I was hoping to see the temp come up some. He said it shouldn't be a problem if I ran it only for a very short while. Well, I cranked it and ran it for a maybe a minute, maybe less when I heard a horrible repetitive squealing sound, it sounded like metal on metal scraping. I shutoff the engine immediately. I took a towel and cracked the radiator cap a little and heard air escaping, so I know that some heat at least pressurized something. I also felt the engine block and it was pretty cool to the touch, though the exhaust manifold I accidentally touched was very hot. There were no other weird sounds besides the squealing, and there was no smoke. The temp gauge moved a little bit when it was on, but just barely; I'm not sure there was enough coolant in the system for the sensor to read it (but I'm not sure). I called said friend and described what happened and he said I probably heard the belts squealing/slipping because they're covered in coolant. I'm really hoping he's right. I plan on cranking it again after I get more coolant (I decided to flush the whole system first). When I flushed the system there was still maybe 2 gallons of coolant that came out, maybe a little more. I wanted to see if anyone had an opinion here. Do you think I damaged anything permanently? Did I warp something or blow a head gasket? Thanks!

Nope I don't believe you did any damage. You would have had to get it really hot. You technically won't hurt your motor if you have no water in it till it actually overheats. Meaning the lack of water doesn't hurt your motor, but the heat will.

I am sure the noise you heard was antifreeze on the belts. Unfortunately the antifreeze will most likely leave a film. What I would do is hose the belts really good with the hose then let it dry really good and the noise should clear up.

Thanks for your reply! That makes me feel a lot better. I will get more distilled water and make sure to clean the belts as well as I can.

As an aside, do you have any idea how long I would need to run the engine before it overheated and did serious damage? What would the symptoms of that be? I've never overheated an engine before (assuming this was just the belts).

Thanks for your reply! That makes me feel a lot better. I will get more distilled water and make sure to clean the belts as well as I can.

As an aside, do you have any idea how long I would need to run the engine before it overheated and did serious damage? What would the symptoms of that be? I've never overheated an engine before (assuming this was just the belts).

I don't know a specific time range, but you wouldn't have been able to pull the cap very easily, and water would have shot out like a geyser rather than a little air. I would say you are probably ok up to 250. Even over 250 for a short time you still could be OK, but you wouldn't want to make a habit of it.

Not to say that water rushing out is an indication of a problem just that since that didn't happen to you, I don't think based on your description that you over heated your Jeep.

Got it. Thanks. My fear was that the temp gauge wasn't good b/c w/o coolant, or enough coolant, my understanding is that the temp gauge can't read anything (since it's not submerged in the liquid). Further, I found (turn your speakers down if you click on this) this guy's video on youtube and the sound I heard sounded exactly like that. Thanks for your advice!

Overheat an engine and do damage, when it is full of coolant. If you drive in subzero winter conditions it takes about 10 minutes for the engine to deliver heat, so way more than 10 minutes.... if the block was full of coolant.

I'd agree with your assessment. Likely squealing belts. Would scare the shit out of any of us.