Advice on distributor problem

Tank97

I have a 1997 4.0 sport wrangler
I actually replaced my distributor with a used OEM distributor and as I was tightening the clamp down the "two ears" broke off. after attempting to start it my jeep ran super rough and I slowly turned to distributor as the jeep was running until is sounded smooth as silk. fixed the hesitation and lack of acceleration problems along with a bucking problem at 2,100 RPM's, until today.

A few days ago I started to get the bucking symptom back. so I cracked open the distributor and it was bad again, I bought a new one from O'riellys and installed it and now have a what seems like bad timing issue. the jeep fluctuates up and down and does not get much better after applying more power.

Any advise, or ideas of what to try to fix this problem? do i need to just drive my jeep and let the CPU fix the timing? thanks in advance for any help!

Sounds like you got the wrong distributor. They made one for the 97 and different one for 98-99.
Double check the part number.

Not sure. If its not giving you a check engine light or code its hard to tell. What concerns me is that you had to swap the cam sensor. The CH15 hooked right up to mine. Im curious if you have a 98 distributor. I have the old one and can find the numbers i have attached the part numbers

Found the mopar numbers
This is the mopar number for the 97
56027028AB

This is for the 98-99
56041034AB

Just to double check the one you removed.

Just went thru this on my son's XJ with the 4.0 and we were able to source the correct distributor overnight from the local NAPA shop. Came ready to go and just dropped in.

Okay, so I got the new distributor (CH17), installed it but haven't been able to get the jeep started. I tried swapping to the original cam sensor but still no start. It almost sounds like there is no spark, lot of cranking but not really any variations in the cranks like its trying to do something. any suggestions?

Thats what I did in the first place. because the new cam sensor plug did not work with the old 97 plugs
Early 97 models used a lot of '95 YJ electrical parts, late '97 models switched to '97 TJ parts & connectors. My early 3/96 manufactured TJ used a lot of YJ sensor parts, many '97 TJ parts wouldn't plug in.

Early 97 models used a lot of '95 YJ electrical parts, late '97 models switched to '97 TJ parts & connectors. My early 3/96 manufactured TJ used a lot of YJ sensor parts, many '97 TJ parts wouldn't plug in.
So are you saying the CH17 is the wrong part? Even if it came with the correct plug?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Before trying to start it the next time try cycling the ignition switch on-off-on 8-10 times, pausing 2 seconds each time it's in the on position. After doing that see if it starts.

Before trying to start it the next time try cycling the ignition switch on-off-on 8-10 times, pausing 2 seconds each time it's in the on position. After doing that see if it starts.
Followed your advice after installing my new distrubutor and wala! Started right up.

But now it's driving very poorly! Under 2k RPMs if I give it any gass it Boggs down and feels like the rear axle is getting pulled from behind, not really sure how to explain it but it happens in every gear. After driving it for a little while 1st gear got alot better and second started to aswell. Could this just be a shortage of fluids because it hasn't ran in a long time. Or is this more at a bad sensor issue.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Your next step should be to rent/borrow a fuel pressure test kit from your local auto parts store and check the fuel pressure while it's running. It should be at or very close to 49 psi. And start checking it after the engine is shut off too to see if that pressure is falling off and how quickly it falls off when it does.