Advice on fixing body rust

MrBClark

TJ Enthusiast
My 01 60th Anniversary Edition has two rust holes in the body. One behind the front fender flare and one in front of the back fender flare (in the typical locations). Any advice on how to fix? Any estimates on how expensive for welding? Thanks

Cut the rust out by making a square or rectangular hole. Go as big as you need to get it all. Form a piece of sheetmetal as a patch that minimizes body filler and weld it in. Tack and small quick stitch welds only. The idea is to never apply so much heat that things warp. Clean it up front and back then spray the backside with a quality automotive sealer. Front gets sealer and body filler then sand, prime, and blend the paint. Rust is like cancer. You have to surgically remove it and not miss any.

Cut the rust out by making a square or rectangular hole. Go as big as you need to get it all. Form a piece of sheetmetal as a patch that minimizes body filler and weld it in. Tack and small quick stitch welds only. The idea is to never apply so much heat that things warp. Clean it up front and back then spray the backside with a quality automotive sealer. Front gets sealer and body filler then sand, prime, and blend the paint. Rust is like cancer. You have to surgically remove it and not miss any.
Agree, but I'd round the corners of your patch. Keeps the heat buildup a little more spread out. That's just how I was taught...YMMV

Reactions: steelhd
I have a similar problem on my TJ, the front fenders have bubbling in the same location on both sides. I've spoken to several shops for estimates, they all say the fenders were previously patched and recommended replacing both. The tough part is i'm being quoted about 2 grand for replacement fenders (non OEM) prep and paint. I was looking to have some small surface rust repaired on the windshield hinge too.

I have a similar problem on my TJ, the front fenders have bubbling in the same location on both sides. I've spoken to several shops for estimates, they all say the fenders were previously patched and recommended replacing both. The tough part is i'm being quoted about 2 grand for replacement fenders (non OEM) prep and paint. I was looking to have some small surface rust repaired on the windshield hinge too.
Yes the windshield hinge is another place on mine. Only issue is getting those bolts off. U can also buy the front fenders online for less then $200 I think.

The frame is fine, I had some rust on some brackets that hold the side steps and in a few places under the hood, but I treated that with cleaner and POR 15

The frame is fine, I had some rust on some brackets that hold the side steps and in a few places under the hood, but I treated that with cleaner and POR 15
O ok. Mine is tad shakey. Gonna clean the whole thing. The entire por 15 process and Fluid Film. The previous owner put some cheap stuff on it but he trapped a ton of crap on it which caused some heavier surface rust. Love living in the rust belt

I had my 2001 TJ painted this past summer. Within about two months, I saw some rust spots coming through on the d/s fender, and p/s front quarter panel and rocker. This wasn't really a paint defect, but I brought it back to the shop anyway. The attendant went through the options such as replace body parts, repair body parts, etc. Anywhere from $900-$2000 in work. But his ultimate suggestion was to do nothing and see what happens. Suggested that, instead of replacing the fender with an OEM version, remove it and install an off road version. Kinda said that rust is like cancer: sometimes it spreads, sometimes it doesn't. Kinda gave the warning that I might go bonkers chasing body rust on a Jeep nearly 20 yrs old...

I POR-15 the frame nearly every year, so that's what I really care about. Sure, I can find a good deal on some body panels over the next year if it gets worse, but I'm not really sweating it.

IMG_4796.jpg
IMG_4917.jpg

I had my 2001 TJ painted this past summer. Within about two months, I saw some rust spots coming through on the d/s fender, and p/s front quarter panel and rocker. This wasn't really a paint defect, but I brought it back to the shop anyway. The attendant went through the options such as replace body parts, repair body parts, etc. Anywhere from $900-$2000 in work. But his ultimate suggestion was to do nothing and see what happens. Suggested that, instead of replacing the fender with an OEM version, remove it and install an off road version. Kinda said that rust is like cancer: sometimes it spreads, sometimes it doesn't. Kinda gave the warning that I might go bonkers chasing body rust on a Jeep nearly 20 yrs old...

I POR-15 the frame nearly every year, so that's what I really care about. Sure, I can find a good deal on some body panels over the next year if it gets worse, but I'm not really sweating it.

View attachment 204671View attachment 204672
Yea I bought a cheap Craftsman Mig welder because my jeep is a tad... or a lot rusty😂 i feel confident i can fix the rust for a good bit of time yet. Im doing everything possible to slow it down. Gonna weld some spots this summer when i build a stroker motor. Did the guy say how much it would cost to paint just two new fenders? I need to replace mine

Did the guy say how much it would cost to paint just two new fenders? I need to replace mine
That varies greatly from shop to shop. I just got a quote from a 5 star auto paint shop around here. They have perfectly matched 15 year old Jeep paint for me in the past. Fenders, grille, hood, hood cowl and windshield frame all for $600. I thought that was a steal. I might do it next spring, if the price doesn't double Bi Den. Oops, I meant by then.;)

That varies greatly from shop to shop. I just got a quote from a 5 star auto paint shop around here. They have perfectly matched 15 year old Jeep paint for me in the past. Fenders, grille, hood, hood cowl and windshield frame all for $600. I thought that was a steal. I might do it next spring, if the price doesn't double Bi Den. Oops, I meant by then.;)
That seems like a great price. I wonder what shops around here would charge to do just both fenders and my grill.

That seems like a great price. I wonder what shops around here would charge to do just both fenders and my grill.
You can usually get online quotes by giving them the paint code. The color of the Jeep does makes a difference in prices. I was quoted $125 somewhere else to paint one fender FLARE Desert sand color. I told the guy he was crazy.:rolleyes: I found a full set of flares that color on Craigslist for $40.

Yea I bought a cheap Craftsman Mig welder because my jeep is a tad... or a lot rusty😂 i feel confident i can fix the rust for a good bit of time yet. Im doing everything possible to slow it down. Gonna weld some spots this summer when i build a stroker motor. Did the guy say how much it would cost to paint just two new fenders? I need to replac

It was Maaco. $275.