Advice on greasing TJ zerk fittings

thisismyusername

Hi all. I was hoping to get some advice on greasing my TJ. I've seen some other threads, but I have some detailed questions those don't exactly cover. I bought a 1999 TJ roughly 6 months ago and have been doing all the work on it myself. I took it to a mechanic last week to have them inspect it and generate a list of problem areas they would recommend I focus on. I knew my front end suspension squeaked a bit but honestly couldn't hear it very well when driving, but my mechanic says it's pretty loud and is the result of metal on metal grinding thus I need to grease the zerk fittings in the front end. On that I have the following two notes:

1. Need to lube lower ball joint zerk (it's dry and the source of the squeak)
2. Missing zerk fitting out of the front driveline forward u-joint

My first question is: For number 1 he said that two of the zerks are difficult to get to (one on each side) and I would likely need to pull the tires off and slide the axles out. The internet has told me I should be able to to it with a right angle fitting. Is that possible or should I be pulling the wheels off?

My second question is this: How many places total do I need to grease? I've found 7 zerk fittings and other threads state there are 7, but is there anything else I should be greasing than just the zerk fittings? What else under the front end could I / should I be lubricating?

My third question: Can I replace a zerk fitting easily, or do I need to replace an entire assembly?

My fourth question: I know not all grease types are compatible, and I have no idea what kind of grease was used before. Can I use a solvent or something to clean out the existing grease? Or is there something else I could do?

Thank y'all for your help!

Reactions: wildbill
The lower ball joints may be hard to get to the grease fittings. A kit like this does seem to help get to most. As your vehicle is new to you, if you pull the axles replace the axle joints. If I pulled the axles, I'd replace the ball joints as well unless you know they are perfect. If they were dry they probably are not perfect. Get an assortment kit of grease fittings and replace as needed. Depending on what has been installed, some steering components and u-joints do or do not have grease fittings. Replacement parts often do, but that is not an engraved in stone fact. Myself, I like grease fittings on everything. As TJs are an addictive money sucking demons, plan on replacing everything. It is part of the fun.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WLJ1QCT/?tag=wranglerorg-20

BTW, if I replaced the axle joints I'd do the differential seals and bearings too. Easy to do, well worth the extra step. When I did mine, I did new wheel bearings and rotors and pads to boot. I couldn't stand the notion of reinstalling old parts of unknown lineage. Money is easily replaceable and a freshened TJ is quite satisfying.

Reactions: thisismyusername
To be honest I grew up with 3 types of grease. 1) Disk grease. This is the cheapest grease you can buy. Just for total loss type solid bearings. 2) Tractor grease. This is the good red tacky grease that people use for trailer wheel bearings and similar. 3) Wheel bearing grease. This is the stuff that comes in a short tub that is expensive. Have to hand pack into the grease gun. This is what I use for all Ujoints and auto fittings.
Any grease is better than no grease. Pick one that is for wheel bearings and high pressure. It comes in the regular tubes now.
There are metric zerk fittings and SAE fittings. Which are on the Jeep I dont know. I would guess SAE. They are simple to install. A regular wrench or socket and they thread in like any bolt would. Snug is all you need. While all greases are "not compatible" it's not like your Jeep will burst into flame. A good quality high preasure grease can work for all fittings.

The lower ball joints may be hard to get to the grease fittings. A kit like this does seem to help get to most. As your vehicle is new to you, if you pull the axles replace the axle joints. If I pulled the axles, I'd replace the ball joints as well unless you know they are perfect. If they were dry they probably are not perfect. Get an assortment kit of grease fittings and replace as needed. Depending on what has been installed, some steering components and u-joints do or do not have grease fittings. Replacement parts often do, but that is not an engraved in stone fact. Myself, I like grease fittings on everything. As TJs are an addictive money sucking demons, plan on replacing everything. It is part of the fun.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WLJ1QCT/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Thanks! I do plan on replacing mostly everything on the front end, but in a month or two when get acces to a flat driveway (I live in an apartment complex right now). For now I just want peace of mind I’m mot destroying anything.

If you're replacing missing zerk fittings do your best to get as much grease and whatever other stuff out of where the zerk screws in. You might not get all the other stuff out but the less that stays in there the better.

If you're replacing missing zerk fittings do your best to get as much grease and whatever other stuff out of where the zerk screws in. You might not get all the other stuff out but the less that stays in there the better.

I'm going to see if I can replace just the missing zerk for now, where I'll be diligent about cleaning as much as I can. But what about the other zerk fittings where I can't exactly "clean" them?

you leave a dab of grease on the zerk, when you go to grease again, wipe off the dab and the fitting is clean, then leave a dab again. Just an FYI

So a question, I've counted what looks like more than 7 zerk fittings. Behind the red arrow (it's hidden behind the drag link) in the image there looks like another one (one on each front wheel that is) which looks impossible to get to. Am I missing something here? Thanks!

One thing I was taught early on for heavy truck king pins was to unload the axle by jacking it up, grease the pins or in this case ball joints in three positions, all the way left, center and all the way right. May sound overkill, but you know you have them well greased.

B

Reactions: Flivver250
There are seven total zerks.

Jerry, thanks. I don't doubt that, but what am I looking at then? It looks like there are 3 on the left wheel which I've shown in the attached picture labeled A, B, and C, I left the right angle attachment to test it (and also 3 on the right wheel). Then there are 3 more captured in numbers 3, 4, and 5 in this website: https://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/lube-1.htm. That gives me a total 9. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks!

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-05 at 10.50.13 PM.jpeg

It’s actually a plug, you can’t have a zerk and have it clear the shaft. But yeah it is a grease point that is only serviced when the shafts are removed. Tim

Hey Old B - that is some OLDschool mechanic stuff there. Today they have no time for all that extra work. Very glad that you chimed in.👍👍

Reactions: Blondie70
It looks like the shape of a zerk fitting to me. Maybe someone added them. Are you the original owner?

They make grease gun fitting that slide over the fitting from the side. They also make right angle fittings. No guarantee that either will fit in there though.

Can you get a clearer, possibly closer, pic of it?

2AA9F9DA-798E-4650-9D45-1F3D3FF60665.jpeg

A266F56E-0BA3-40A5-9D9C-A3D0EF9C572F.jpeg

8109633A-4AD5-45C1-85EC-61804E3F6790.jpeg

Ok, I will go back to my original statement, if front lower ball joint had a hole for a grease fitting, normally it is lubed with the shafts out, then the zerk is removed and a plug gets installed.

I spotted a zerk fitting in the rear u-joint closest to the TC while changing the fluid.

I think they are original u-joints, but I haven’t seen references to lubing them.

My front ds has a zerk in each ujoint. Some won't. Depends on joint style.
If there is a plug on a ujoint then you should pull the plug, screw in a zerk, grease it, then remove zerk and replace plug to keep ds in balance.
Other points that have a plug just replace with a zerk permanently unless the zerk will cause interference with something during normal movement.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
Thanks. I just bought the Jeep, so it's possible that it's a non-stock ujoint? Or did some of the stock ones come with zerks?