Advice on Painting Half Doors

Personally I would get them painted if you can afford it, you need a lot of patience to rattle can a good job, environment weather dust control and laborious prep work.
I think if you want a perfect job it’s worth the money to pay a shop. I paid $350 for my doors and when all was said and done I believe I spent about $700 to do the job right. I recouped $150 of that back selling the uppers I’ll never use. Not sure a shop could get them done that cheap. I screwed mine up sanding the clear in a few spots, but they are just trail/summer doors

I think if you want a perfect job it’s worth the money to pay a shop. I paid $350 for my doors and when all was said and done I believe I spent about $700 to do the job right. I recouped $150 of that back selling the uppers I’ll never use. Not sure a shop could get them done that cheap. I screwed mine up sanding the clear in a few spots, but they are just trail/summer doors
I was talking more the patience you need, most people cant wait and just want to rattle that first can ASAP. Been there done that! Its like moving house you see the cost decide to do it yourself then wish you paid the removal experts to do it.

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
I was talking more the patience you need, most people cant wait and just want to rattle that first can ASAP. Been there done that! Its like moving house you see the cost decide to do it yourself then wish you paid the removal experts to do it.
Lol amen, yes it takes a stupid amount of patience. I did have a few dust particles land on mine, I was fortunate. At many times I wish I would have paid someone else!!

• Haha
Reactions: Fishtaco
further expand on this for the complete novices!
Novice to novice, you need to remove hardware and wet sand with different grades on all parts, clean and repeat clean and repeat, Tac cloth mask up hang doors up to spray, if the surface isnt correct you will get patches if the weather isnt correct you get orange peeling if there is dust you get runs or painted dust partials that seem huge even though you cant see them in the air if you spray too close you get runs, if you use too much of the can you get splatters then you have to do the same for the clear coat Its a nightmare! plus you are doing a colour change which is harder. You need patience

If you take it to bare metal you know what you have, if you don't you may be painting over some problem that will rear its ugly head at sometime in the future just my 2 cents

If you take it to bare metal you know what you have, if you don't you may be painting over some problem that will rear its ugly head at sometime in the future just my 2 cents
As a body shop guy I understand what you are saying but if a novice does this they are going to look like shit, I can almost guarantee it. You won't be able to get rid of the sanding marks and if the doors are an oem color there is a decent chance there won't be issues underneath the paint. My vote is scuff, prep and prime/paint

As a novice, who is just finishing up my JCRs (bare Al) I'll it all depends on how good you want them to look, how much you want to spend and how much time you have to be patient going through the process.
I wanted to learn, wanted them to look decent from a few feet away and know that mine will get scratched and dinged.
I am in about $200 in paint and supplies. Hope to get latches on and mount them tomorrow. There are a few blemishes but I keep telling myself that that will make the first trail pinstripes easier to swallow. This is after sanding orangepeel off the clear with 1500 and da polishing with a pretty aggressive compound. I'll hit it one more time with a finer polish. DA sander/polisher is a great investment. Did all the coatings in garage this was after da action, shadow is from nearby tree. Got them pretty glossy. I learned a ton!
20210630_184929.jpg

As a novice, who is just finishing up my JCRs (bare Al) I'll it all depends on how good you want them to look, how much you want to spend and how much time you have to be patient going through the process.
I wanted to learn, wanted them to look decent from a few feet away and know that mine will get scratched and dinged.
I am in about $200 in paint and supplies. Hope to get latches on and mount them tomorrow. There are a few blemishes but I keep telling myself that that will make the first trail pinstripes easier to swallow. This is after sanding orangepeel off the clear with 1500 and da polishing with a pretty aggressive compound. I'll hit it one more time with a finer polish. DA sander/polisher is a great investment. Did all the coatings in garage this was after da action, shadow is from nearby tree. Got them pretty glossy. I learned a ton!
View attachment 264040
Those look fantastic!

Reactions: DuncLJ and WHBNM
So I'm gonna have at it myself. I'll just scuff and fix the blemishes before rattle canning. It'll probably be a few weeks until I have the time. I'll only be using them in the summer and it was an impulse based on the price/condition. I'll be happy if they come out pretty good...didn't want to sink a.ton of dough into them.

Those look fantastic!
Thank you! We'll call it good for phone picture from certain angles. I test fitted them today and depending how the lighting is it is a barely dark from a color standpoint but I am pretty pumped on the colr match. I have some stock mirrors ill drill and mount and put on my thread and few more, fwiw once everything is done.
20210708_171707.jpg

20210708_171752.jpg

To add something that might help others out instead of just pics here is my process as a mediocre satin black undercarriage painter. I know op is repainting his and mine were bare aluminumbut...
For mine -

Cleaned with Eastwood PRE (great to have on hand)
Sanded with 320 , I knew I would never get the deeper bending and machining grooves and scores out. That is beyond my skills or what I intended to do.
Cleaned with PRE (never touched with bare hands again, new gloves only)
Several coats of Eastwood 2k epoxy primer.
Light wet sand with 320
Water wash, clean towel dry, tack cloth
Automotive Touchup sandable primer 2-3 light coats to help bury some machining grooves.
Sand with 400 wet, wash with water
Sand with 600 wet. Wash with water
Tack cloth
Automotive Touch-up base coat - @ 4 light coats
Wet sanded a few splatters with 1000 sponge
Water wash, clean towel, tack cloth
Automotive touch up clear coat 4-5 light coats
Wet sand lightly with 1500 to help on few clearcoat splatters and orange peel texture. This helped a lot.
Hit it with DA with chemical Brothers v32 then v34.

Most of this i pieced together from a number of different places some from members here @DuncLJ, @Alex01, and others. Eastwood info, a couple autobody type forums. Those who know more on the subject are free to critique and please do. Just don't give me too much shit because I went in fairly blind to the process. Which it was that, but I learned a lot. I wrote this long-winded ramble because I would have loved to find something on here with all you guys that gave me an outline.
My effort turned out decent but if I followed this again I think I could make it above average for a rattle can!
Sorry I'll shut up and go have have another drink. 🍻

20210708_180614.jpg

Thank you! We'll call it good for phone picture from certain angles. I test fitted them today and depending how the lighting is it is a barely dark from a color standpoint but I am pretty pumped on the colr match. I have some stock mirrors ill drill and mount and put on my thread and few more, fwiw once everything is done.
View attachment 264174
View attachment 264175
To add something that might help others out instead of just pics here is my process as a mediocre satin black undercarriage painter. I know op is repainting his and mine were bare aluminumbut...
For mine -

Sanded with 320 , I knew I would never get the deeper bending and machining grooves and scores out. That is beyond my skills or what I intended to do.
Light wet sand with 320
Automotive Touchup sandable primer 2-3 light coats to help bury some machining grooves.
Tack cloth
Wet sand lightly with 1500 to help on few clearcoat splatters and orange peel texture. This helped a lot.

Most of this i pieced together from a number of different places some from members here @DuncLJ, @Alex01, and others. Eastwood info, a couple autobody type forums. Those who know more on the subject are free to critique and please do. Just don't give me too much shit because I went in fairly blind to the process. Which it was that, but I learned a lot. I wrote this long-winded ramble because I would have loved to find something on here with all you guys that gave me an outline.
My effort turned out decent but if I followed this again I think I could make it above average for a rattle can!

View attachment 264165
I wish I would have done some sanding during the paint process in my few spots. Same with the clear coat, but I’m with you. I learned a lot and am not afraid to paint some areas in the future! I think they look very solid on there!!

Reactions: WHBNM
I wish I would have done some sanding during the paint process in my few spots. Same with the clear coat, but I’m with you. I learned a lot and am not afraid to paint some areas in the future! I think they look very solid on there!!
I was very scared to touch it at that point but got up the nerve and figured if I screwed it up royally I'd immediately go hit some scrub oaks!

View attachment 264174
View attachment 264175
For mine -

Light wet sand with 320
Tack cloth

View attachment 264165

Fucking nice dude! Great job! 🍻

I have some stock mirrors ill drill and mount and put on my thread and few more, fwiw once everything is done.
View attachment 264174
I mounted my stock mirrors to my JCR doors this week. The mirrors have a bit of a recess for the hinge bolts but I found the recess was not deep enough for the button head bolts that came with the doors. I ground down the heads of the bolts a bit and the mirrors fit perfectly flush with the door.

May have just scored some half doors, will know tomorrow. I will be in the same boat as they are green with tan interior but beggars cant be choosers, not that easy to get half doors in Australia as you have to wait for a wreck.

Last edited:
Most of the paint on my LJ was good with the exception of areas that needed metal replacement mostly due to rust. Where the paint was good, there was no need to take the panels down to bare metal. I simply washed and degreased them then scuffed them with a dark red 3M pad. I sprayed single stage enamel over the original paint. I wet sanded each coat with progressively finer paper ...1,500, 2,000 etc. The gloss is good but I'll eventually wet sand some of the panels and buff them out.

The fenders and windshield are aftermarket replacements. The process was pretty much the same. There was no need to remove the black primer that they came with.

I've had to weld in some patch panels. I primed them with a VERY light initial coat to promote adhesion on the second coat.

My approach has always been to assume you're going to have to spray another coat. With wet sanding in between coats you'll eventually know when you won't have to!

20-09-25 3.JPG

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
If you're getting orange peel in your clear, you're not getting the paint particles small enough.
Improper atomization. You need to turn up the air pressure or turn down the amount of paint coming out.
With todays clears you should get a mirror finish with proper atomization.

Like mentioned before you can put another coat on after 20 minutes up an hour. I would put down no less than three coats clear.