Advice on potential TJ purchase

MamaLu

Thank you for all the advise on purchasing a TJ. I’m going to look at a 98 tomorrow. This is all I was told:
Jeep Wrangler 1998 one owner 4 cyl automatic transmission 2 wheel drive also has 4 wheel drive in high and low has original soft top - always been stored in a garage. Color is amethyst. $6900
I will attach a few pics. I have my list of everything to ask and to look for and how to look as far as rust. I’m in AZ so I’m hoping it won’t be bad. One thing I can’t find much about in the forms is automatic vs manual. I would prefer manual but if this jeep is rust free With these low miles it seems almost too good to let go. How are the automatics?? Should I hold out for a manual?? Do you guys see anything else I should be concerned about? Thanks!!

3956B043-194E-4605-B19A-E1F99EBD23EB.jpeg

CA711B68-8117-4E9A-8186-056F4B1E0AFA.jpeg

D391CB68-4E75-4CEB-94B3-A702FD81FCDF.jpeg

7441EC11-5D57-4CE6-8F3E-710113B499CF.jpeg

6F532286-04CA-4DAE-A2F0-585B7621E15E.jpeg

FA5918B2-0A90-4F4A-9503-5D309EB372BC.jpeg

5C425C33-A18F-44AB-952B-D3BD8B033D16.jpeg

A5588E19-F843-410D-B685-915AD4CB201E.jpeg

Reactions: KCsTJ
Thank you for all the advise on purchasing a TJ. I’m going to look at a 98 tomorrow. This is all I was told:
Jeep Wrangler 1998 one owner 4 cyl automatic transmission 2 wheel drive also has 4 wheel drive in high and low has original soft top - always been stored in a garage. Color is amethyst. $6900
I will attach a few pics. I have my list of everything to ask and to look for and how to look as far as rust. I’m in AZ so I’m hoping it won’t be bad. One thing I can’t find much about in the forms is automatic vs manual. I would prefer manual but if this jeep is rust free With these low miles it seems almost too good to let go. How are the automatics?? Should I hold out for a manual?? Do you guys see anything else I should be concerned about? Thanks!!

You absolutely, positively DO NOT want that 4 cylinder in an automatic, believe me on that.

Reactions: Jerry Little

View attachment 83225

View attachment 83226

View attachment 83227

View attachment 83228

View attachment 83229

View attachment 83230

View attachment 83231

View attachment 83232

What do you want to do with it? The 2.5L is pretty anemic, but it can serve you well depending on your expectations and desires. I can tell you even the 4L can sometimes be starved for power on the road at my altitude.

I think @StG58 has a 2.5 and has good experience with the capabilities though (you could search the threads he has started). I’ve not been in one in a while.

I’m not planning on going off road with it much. Just a fun car to drive around town with the top off when it’s nice. It will just be an around town car. I might send it up with my daughter to college in CO.

Reactions: KCsTJ and rasband
I’m not planning on going off road with it much. Just a fun car to drive around town with the top off when it’s nice. It will just be an around town car. I might send it up with my daughter to college in CO.
If you are leaving it stock, it should be fine for what you want. But if modifications are in the future, you will be adding weight, so it will make it tougher travel in the mountains of Colorado. I have had a Jeep with the 2.5 and was glad to have the manual transmission after adding weight to it. Arizona Jeeps are the best, no rust!

Original top looks like that in AZ? It never went outside. The 2.5/auto isn't nearly as bad as Chris makes it out to be for driving on the street. I got one a couple months ago. It's slow, that's for sure but I've been using it for a daily driver with a freeway commute and it's ok. Try merging onto the freeway when you test drive it if you can.

Reactions: mav6325
Original top looks like that in AZ? It never went outside. The 2.5/auto isn't nearly as bad as Chris makes it out to be for driving on the street. I got one a couple months ago. It's slow, that's for sure but I've been using it for a daily driver with a freeway commute and it's ok. Try merging onto the freeway when you test drive it if you can.
I have to backtrack just a little. The 2.5 doesn't like going faster than 70 mph and the climb to Flagstaff is definitely slow. The heater takes forever to get warm and the soft top is really noisy. My daughter was in love with the jeep before she took it to NAU for a couple weeks. It may not be the best choice for school in Colorado.

That’s crazy low mileage for a 98! If it was just left to sit without yearly oil changes, etc then that may not be a good thing though. Title clear?

Get a cat and greasy string .

Poke the string up the cats rear .

Hook it to the bumper of the Jeep.

The 4cyl. Auto won't pull the string out of the cat's butt...if it was a 4.0, even at 2 or 3 x the mileage , it would be unreal.