Advice on TJ project with my son

Wheeling diver

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Looking for a little advise. My so is almost 14 and I haven't done the best job teaching him how to work on things and use past problems to solve the one in front of him. After making that confession, I have found a 2002 sport that needs a lot of work (not running, no front driveshaft, rusty frame, dead cat in passenger side floor, things like that). It would be a lot of work and he says he wants to do it and learn. My question is has anyone else taken on a project like this with their son and how did it go? I can get this Jeep for 3200, which includes a new top, carpet and fender flares. I figure about 3 to 4 thousand more to fix it and in 2 years he will have a decent vehicle and a an education. Any thoughts?

I did a similar Jeep project with both my boys before they had their licenses and the best advice I can offer is do not get a project that will ultimately frustrate him. What I mean is that some projects can be like opening a can of worms with each step forward, so find a project that is very doable and that he can putter with by himself without supervision when your not around.

If you have the time. Do it. Will be well wort it even if it is just the time and memories you make with him. I was fortunate enough to have my Dad take on a project like that with me when I was 14. It was a 1965 Mustang though. I am doing something similar with my son as well

I did a similar Jeep project with both my boys before they had their licenses and the best advice I can offer is do not get a project that will ultimately frustrate him. What I mean is that some projects can be like opening a can of worms with each step forward, so find a project that is very doable and that he can putter with by himself without supervision when your not around.
Right you are. I had not considered that I was just looking for something that would cover a wide spectrum of skills. Thanks.

The idea is great. My worry would be that the one you are looking at with the rusty frame may come back to haunt you both after you get everything else together and finally get it running. Be sure that the frame problems are reasonably correctable before you dive in. In the end, if the frame rots out, all that work might be for naught when a 16 year-old (they get frustrated easily...) finally discovers that the vehicle that the two of you have been spending sooo much time on with the intent of it being his first car will only end up in the junk yard because its too far gone or too expensive to finish.

Reactions: Flivver250
Here's a project that could serve for inspiration: TJ's TJ

Last month my son and I acquired a project: Home-School Auto Shop

If you're committed and he has a glint of interest, go for it. At minimum it's time spent together. Have him set the vision and go from there. From the dad's perspective, giving up control is a hard thing to do. My perspective of my son's struggle is maintaining motivation when doing the less glorious tasks. For him, installing shiny new things is interesting. Removing an refreshing rusty bolts and whatnot has been a chore.

There is a lot more to these projects than spinning wrenches and problem solving- time management, money management and budgeting, inventory/organization, purchasing- sourcing/communicating/negotiating, etc.

I'm doing that w/ my kid. His was running, but had many issues. I'm making him do the bulk of the work and his own research. I'm there to give guidance and support, help him out of a bind, make sure he's doing things safely, and going over his work when he's done. Biggest problem I've run into is he wants spend his money on all the "cool mods" before preventative maintenance to make/ keep it reliable.

I did that when my son bought an '85 Toyota 4Runner back in 2008 when he was 15. We did a lot of stuff to it and he was willing to put the time in and wanted to learn and do things to it. Money was tight back then so we didn't get to go crazy on it, but mainly repairing and maintenance type things. It was fun and good to see him excited about it. He still has it.

I'd be concerned about the rusty frame though, considering how bad they can get on these Jeeps.

I'm with @RobertJ on this one, $3200 sounds high for a non running Jeep with rust issues. I picked up my '00 for $3800 no rust issues other than some very minor surface rust. The body is a little beat up but nothing too hard to fix, mechanically sound, just needed some over due maintenance.

As for starting a project with your son, that's a great idea. My dad picked up a '65 CJ5 when I was young (8 or so) and we had a blast working on it. Eventually he sold it and bought a 76 CJ5 when I was 13. It needed a new engine so we ended up swapping out the 258 for a 304. That ended up being the first vehicle I ever drove. Needless to say I've been hooked on Jeeps and doing my own repairs ever since.

Reactions: RobertJ
Looking for a little advise. My so is almost 14 and I haven't done the best job teaching him how to work on things and use past problems to solve the one in front of him. After making that confession, I have found a 2002 sport that needs a lot of work (not running, no front driveshaft, rusty frame, dead cat in passenger side floor, things like that). It would be a lot of work and he says he wants to do it and learn. My question is has anyone else taken on a project like this with their son and how did it go? I can get this Jeep for 3200, which includes a new top, carpet and fender flares. I figure about 3 to 4 thousand more to fix it and in 2 years he will have a decent vehicle and a an education. Any thoughts?
It did not go well on mine bonding wise during his freshmen high school age.
However it builds up after a while, fast forward now that he finished college he appreciates every bit of time he spent time with me on his jeep.

I did most of the works I remember :( with a lot of patience :)

Reactions: pagrey and reddvltj
Start with something in the best condition you can find in that price range. Whatever it is make sure HE wants it. Jeeps weren't quite my thing in my teens.

Back in the early 1980s my price range was under $500 and I bought a Maroon 1974 Beetle that had really wide fiberglass rear fenders and some weird interior modifications. The last car my dad would have ever though of having on his property was an air-cooled Kraut Car. Even with that going through his head we spent a few months chopping off the front and back, adding hand made Baja body parts and building a full roll cage. The total cost of that project was well under $600. Looking back there was a ton of things that should have been done differently and would have worked out much better. Had it been any American car It would have been done more correctly but I did learn how to do some welding, some body work and several other things.

old 017.jpg

Be careful of a rust bucket. Other than that, be aware that if he finds a different distraction (female type) you might find yourself doing it all. But if working on a Jeep excited him then YES.
Never get angry.
Never get frustrated.
Never get in his way and follow his lead.
Let him make mistakes. Unless it is dangerous.
Go at his pace.
He learns from mistakes.
Be sure it stays fun.

Reactions: reddvltj
Stay away from rust for a first project. What could be a pleasurable experience may end up being a lifetime of loathing mechanical work. A kid needs to see light at the end of the tunnel. $3200 is too much for a rust bucket.