Advice/opinions???

Nuggsfan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I have come to a point now that it is definitely time to regear. I am running 35s on stock drivetrain currently. I have a Dana 30/44 mix on my 05 TJ. I am going to go to 4.88 as that is as tall as I can go on the Dana 30. I am also putting chromoly shafts up front.

Starting off, I wheel, but don't really "crawl" I like to explore, and have been in huge rock piles before. While fun, I still enjoy the tight narrow dirt roads. (Probably more than fully "flexing" out) I just want to be capable enough to get home. So far, I have been doing this on open differentials. I have never used a locker, and I don't believe I have limited slip either.

My real question is if I should put in a locker now while re gearing, or would it be wiser to spend that $ elsewhere. I have been pondering this for a while, and can't decide the right mix either. Front selectable/ open rear , rear selectable/open front, rear auto/ open front, or simply rear limited slip... that being said, I can afford the re gear now, and add lockers later still, but figured if I am doing it now, could save a little down the road.

In reality I could afford to do a auto locker in the rear now while I am re gearing. Or I might be able to do a OX locker in front right now.

Any advise either way, or any other ideas?

I am doing this in a shop as I have never done axles and don't think a DD is a good place to learn!

Thanks!
~T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who told you that 4.88 is as deep of a gear you can go?

I have an '05, with a Dana 30 and a Dana 44. And am running 5.13 gearing with 33's.

You'd be smart to go to the deeper 5.13 gearing. Especially with the 42rle.

As for lockers, I got nuthin'. I don't run one, and don't plan on getting one.

To save some coin, and I do believe a decent amount, you're best to install a locker(s) now.

The brand is up to you. There'll be plenty of opinions for you to choose.

Lastly, I'm not sure if an auto locker in a daily driver would be the best, where snowy conditions apply. My personal pick would be a selectable locker, like the OX you mentioned.

Cheers

I looked around for ring gears and thought 4.88 was the largest I could find, but if 5.13 will fit, I will likely go there. As for the locker, I may try to look at doing just a limited slip in the rear and wait on the front. I have never been in a place that I did not feel comfortable getting out of without one, and don't plan on any harder wheeling either. I have a winch and recovery gear, as well as other ideas I could use that money on.

A good limited slip in the rear would be a good choice, then add a selectable up front down the road if you think it's justified.

I think that is where I am headed. I have been pondering this for quite a while, and I just need to pull the trigger already. I am going to the shop tomorrow to finalize everything.

I am pretty sure I am going to do a Detroit TrueTrac. I have been looking at reviews and it seems to be pretty bulletproof. If I do that I can get the 62mm throttle body as well. I already have full banks exhaust and banks cold air intake. The throttle body would just help with power and efficiency. And it's only $200. Then I'll start saving again for a front locker.

The TrueTrac is an excellent choice, the throttle body not so much. It's a waste of money. Since the engine is computer controlled, the air/fuel mixture will be adjusted as per the specs of the Jeep. You will see no gains with a throttle body spacer. Spend the $200 on another mod.

The TrueTrac is an excellent choice, the throttle body not so much. It's a waste of money. Since the engine is computer controlled, the air/fuel mixture will be adjusted as per the specs of the Jeep. You will see no gains with a throttle body spacer. Spend the $200 on another mod.

I was going to do a whole throttle body, not a spacer. The 62 mm is just a more open throat. The spacers really don't do much at all that I have seen anyway. The other thought there may be the exhaust manifold (torque tubes) those reviews look good there too..... or just start saving for the front locker with that, but if I am in the shop, it tends to burn a hole[emoji13]

Definitely 5.13's.

The Truetrac is a great lsd and gear driven so will last a very long time. They work well but with any lsd, if lifting tires regularly you may limit yourself.

You can run an Aussie locker up front. About 250, works very well, light clicking when turning in 2wd. Other than that, you won't know it's there until shifting to 4wd.

If you want traction devices do them at the same time as the gear swap. Otherwise you will have to disassemble both diffs to add them later.

The throttle body is a waste of 200. Those type of upgrades, as well as spacers, are for high rpm use. How often are you cranking out the 4.0 to 5000+ rpm? Same with cold air intakes. Keep the stock box as it is plenty of air flow and won't clog up with dirt like an open element filter. Use that money for the front locker. It will be far more useful and an actual upgrade for what you are doing.

The gear swap will bring back lost "power" by putting the engine into a more useful rpm range quicker and easier. It will be far more useful and noticeable than "power adders."

I ended up doing the gear swap, chromoly axle shafts in the 30, and a Detroit LSD in the rear. I'll do chromoly in the rear next as I can afford, and I can do those myself. I am hoping I can do it when I change the oil for the new diff gears. If I do lock the front, it will be an ARB, but I am not sure I really need one. Still deciding there. My jeep already has the banks air intake and full banks exhaust. So I was not really investing anything there, but the guys in my area (most of them TJs) were the ones saying I should look into that throttle body. The shop guys (4wheel parts) agreed. I have not pulled the trigger on that yet, but they all referenced the altitude and improved response with the larger throttle body. Most of the wheeling we do here is 10-14,000 ft. So it kinda makes sense. I may do it when I am feeling a little more frivolous and let you all know then how it goes. For now, I am happy with gears. I have not really attempted to "step on it" yet. I'll follow the break in process first, but I can tell you I already noticed a difference just driving my 14 miles home.

Kind of surprised you passed on lockers. My brother lives in a Denver suburb and has sent me bunches of wheeling pics with his Toy 4 Runner. Tons of boulders, wheels in the air, etc. and he is always engaging his rear locker (frt is open).

I may eventually lock the front, but I have been here my entire life. Wheeling with my dad since I was 9. He never had lockers. This is the first jeep I have owned that I am doing anything more than stock. I feel very comfortable and confident in saying I have done some of that rougher trails and only pulled winch line once or twice. I am sure a locker would help, but just not sure I really need it yet.

Well, I learned that a limited slip is different than what I 'thought.' - learning something new all the time!