Advice: Pulling Valve Cover to replace PCV & CCV

MikeO

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My PCV valve and grommet are cracked and petrified, crumble when trying to remove. Conventional wisdom says pull valve cover to replace? I figured at the point, replace petrified CCV as well. Shop wants over $300 for the job.
I am not a guy who works on engines, but this seems straight forward. I have the tools, and have located the parts. I'll have to research how to install a gasket and get the bolts re-torqued properly. I guess the question is... Is this something I should try with my limited experience? Any advice? Or just pay the $300.

To the best of my recollection there is no valve. Just PCV which is nothing more than positive crankcase ventilation, not valve.

Just did that job a couple days ago...
You do not need to pull the valve cover...
Use an exacto knife or similar thin blade, cut the grommet, lubricate the inside area where the PVC fitting is inserted and rock the fitting gently and it will come out. Remove the grommet, clean the surface, install the new grommet, apply a little oil or grease and insert the PVC fittings. The one with the orifice goes into the rear of the valve cover.

IMG_9740.jpg
IMG_9733.jpg
IMG_9737.jpg
IMG_9738.jpg
IMG_9739.jpg
IMG_9735.jpg

Reactions: NOLAJeep
I am not a guy who works on engines, but this seems straight forward.
I don't know what the older engines are like but replacing the valve cover on the newer ones is a total pain. There is a ridiculous plastic wiring bridge that pins the valve cover by the firewall. The job sucks. If you can find a way to get those things replaced without pulling the cover I'd do that.

Not hard, just takes a bit of time. I’m by no means an expert and didn’t have any issues. YouTube and download a FSM for your year and you should be good to go.
If I remember correctly the worst part was getting the damn plastic wire harness thingy off the back.

Just did that job a couple days ago...
You do not need to pull the valve cover...
Use an exacto knife or similar thin blade, cut the grommet, lubricate the inside area where the PVC fitting is inserted and rock the fitting gently and it will come out. Remove the grommet, clean the surface, install the new grommet, apply a little oil or grease and insert the PVC fittings. The one with the orifice goes into the rear of the valve cover.

View attachment 272910View attachment 272911View attachment 272912View attachment 272913View attachment 272914View attachment 272916

With a renewed confidence, I attacked the PCV again and managed to coax it out. Thanks, and thanks to all who responded.