Advice wanted: Should I sell my Moabs and KO2's?

WPGB1977

Supporting Member
Just lifted the Jeep and put new wheels and tires on it and now I have 5 leftover Moabs in excellent condition along with 5 basically new 31" KO2's. These are what we're on the Jeep when I bought it.

Part of me wants to keep them because you never know if you might want to go back to stock but I also wouldn't mind getting the cash out of them. Wondering how much they're worth also.

Not sure how realistic it is that I'll want to go back to stock so I'm looking for some input.

Anyone been down this road before? Don't want to sell only to regret it later.

Thanks.

I've had KO2s for two years (not that that's that long) I find them incredibly overrated. I know a lot of guys are super happy but they absolutely are awful in mud. They instantly become 4 tire slicks. I will be selling mine and getting some dick Cepek extreme county tires when funds allow.

They last a While are are made from a good company. They have a great sidewall. They are an excellent mostly on road choice. If you want best on road performance from a semi agressive looking tire the KO2s is good. I am in no way bashing BfG I just think they are overrated. My opinion comes from my TJ, my dads JK (bfg KM2s he's on his third set in like 3 years and he gets frequent rotations) and my friends YJ who has 31x10.5 KO2s and he hates them.

This is purely my experience. Most guys love them. There isn't anything wrong with them and if I was you I'd keep them if you like them. They are just tires they can be replaced. They do sell for a good amount if they are lightly used.

I wouldnt sell the wheels but don't feel bad for selling tires.

Last edited:
What purpose ar enough looking for?

Where do you wheel? What kind of terrain? Mostly highway or off-road use?

Many factors should be considered first.

Also lets see your Jeep with the lift! Post a pic! What height lift?

For whatever it's worth: I bought my Jeep with stock everything except for the 31" BFG KO2's. Decided I wanted aftermarket steel wheels, 33" tires, the works. Now, I just sold those steel wheels and tires after only having them for 3 years. I, personally, liked the factory setup too much. So I bought the same factory rims back and am putting 31" tires on them soon.

My girlfriend at the time told me that i'd regret getting rid of the stock rims and 31" tires. Turns out she was right. :D

Reactions: Tj04
For whatever it's worth: I bought my Jeep with stock everything except for the 31" BFG KO2's. Decided I wanted aftermarket steel wheels, 33" tires, the works. Now, I just sold those steel wheels and tires after only having them for 3 years. I, personally, liked the factory setup too much. So I bought the same factory rims back and am putting 31" tires on them soon.

My girlfriend at the time told me that i'd regret getting rid of the stock rims and 31" tires. Turns out she was right. :D

I hear you...that's kind of what I have been thinking. I may want them later. On the other hand, picking up like $450 by selling the Moab wheels with nice new KO2's on them is tempting...could drop that into more Jeep parts.

I hear you...that's kind of what I have been thinking. I may want them later. On the other hand, picking up like $450 by selling the Moab wheels with nice new KO2's on them is tempting...could drop that into more Jeep parts.

Haha that's the rationale I had behind selling my rims / tires. In the end, you'll always want them back though!

I also bought back my stock front and rear bumper and the plastic bumper ends. I just couldn't stand the "molested" look of my Jeep anymore.

Coming from a guy who has 33" tires on my factory Moab wheels, I wish I would have just kept my 31" and the 2" lift. Yes, it's mild, but it's all I really need these days. My rig is more of an exploration / family fun rig than some sort of serious rock crawler, know what I mean?

Reactions: Kyle_W
I'd sell em. I sold a set of factory ravines and 3 clapped out junk 33" bfg MT's and one new one for 175 bucks in about 3 hours on CL. Thats a lot of space they take up. I you want to go back to stock, craigs list aint going away and you can get stuff cheap. Sure, if I had a 30x60 pole shed in the back yard I'd keep bulky stuff like that. But I dont, so I wont.

Reactions: fourpointzero
Personally, I'd never go back to stock. For what I wheel I could use 35's, and I'm on 31's. I'd Build for the trails you roll. Anything less is just taking up space. More mullah for mods

Reactions: Reece
Sounds like, to me, you're not sure about your new lift and wheels. When I changed out my tire size and did a lift, I couldn't wait to sell my old set. It was money for other modifications. Limited space was also a factor in my decision.

Being you're on the fence, I suggest holding on to them for a couple months, maybe all winter and see how you feel about them in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JMT
Sounds like, to me, you're not sure about your new lift and wheels. When I changed out my tire size and did a lift, I couldn't wait to sell my old set. It was money for other modifications. Limited space was also a factor in my decision.

Being you're on the fence, I suggest holding on to them for a couple months, maybe all winter and see how you feel about them in the spring.

No way man! Love the lift and the tires which is the whole reason I bought the Jeep in the first place.

I'm a car guy through and through and I've wanted a built Jeep since I was a kid...and now I've made it a reality.

RE selling the wheels and tires...part of what I was thinking was that if I ever sell the Jeep I might want to put it back to stock and maybe sell the lift kit, 35" tires (what's left of them) and 15x8 wheels separately to try to get more moolah back out of the mods. Not sure if that's realistic or not as I haven't really researched the market for used lifts.

For the time being, I've put them down in the corner of the basement.

Reactions: fourpointzero
I just sold my 12 yr old MTRs off of my rubicon for 400 bucks, and kept the Moab's. I have 33" KM2s now. Not sure why I would have wanted to keep 31"s when I just bought 33s. I say sell them. No point in holding onto tires that won't get used?

Reactions: WPGB1977
No way man! Love the lift and the tires which is the whole reason I bought the Jeep in the first place.

I'm a car guy through and through and I've wanted a built Jeep since I was a kid...and now I've made it a reality.

RE selling the wheels and tires...part of what I was thinking was that if I ever sell the Jeep I might want to put it back to stock and maybe sell the lift kit, 35" tires (what's left of them) and 15x8 wheels separately to try to get more moolah back out of the mods. Not sure if that's realistic or not as I haven't really researched the market for used lifts.

For the time being, I've put them down in the corner of the basement.
Whatever your decision, you will always have me interested in buying your Moab wheels. I’m just a short drive from North Carolina.

I also understand not wanting to get rid of the stock parts. I recently purchased a YJ for weekend overlanding. While it has a nice aftermarket console, I had to find a factory console. I just like stock parts on some areas of the Jeep. Jeep can have the Dana 35 back though :BangHead:

Whatever your decision, you will always have me interested in buying your Moab wheels. I’m just a short drive from North Carolina.

I also understand not wanting to get rid of the stock parts. I recently purchased a YJ for weekend overlanding. While it has a nice aftermarket console, I had to find a factory console. I just like stock parts on some areas of the Jeep. Jeep can have the Dana 35 back though :BangHead:

You know what man...you're absolutely right. There's something about hanging on to stock parts, even if you're not sure you're gonna need them.

I have even saved the original bumpers, fog lights, etc. The boxes the mods came in are also stored down in the basement. Will probably never need any of these items but there's something nice about having them.

As far as selling you the wheels, I'll keep you in mind. They're in excellent condition. My Jeep had 32,000 miles on it when I bought it a couple of months ago and the wheels are original to the Jeep.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
In the beginning, as I started to change out parts and do add-on's, I keep my oem pieces. But as they started to pile up, I gave in and sold it all. If I ever sell, I'll cut my losses and move on to the next Jeep. The return on selling a used lift and aftermarket parts, I don't believe is worth the labor to go backwards and undo what was done.

In the beginning, as I started to change out parts and do add-on's, I keep my oem pieces. But as they started to pile up, I gave in and sold it all. If I ever sell, I'll cut my losses and move on to the next Jeep. The return on selling a used lift and aftermarket parts, I don't believe is worth the labor to go backwards and undo what was done.

Yes, this. Used parts go for about 50 % of new. Its a LOT of work to uninstall a lift, skid plate etc. Just sell parts as they are available and sell the Jeep as it sits. The nice thing about the used TJ market is that there are all kinds of used OEM parts out there. As long as you don't get crazy, you should be able to return it to stock, if you like.

Put them in your basement or somewhere out of sight then wait a few weeks. You will forget about em and end up holding on to them. I bet they will be useful later on.

I wish I kept a few sets of tires/wheels I had in the past. It would've saved me alot of money.

Some things are worth keeping, others not. Those wheels will bring a decent price if you need some cash down the road, or you might decide to go back to them one day, saving you the cost of buying a set and the hassle of finding them.

I save most of my Jeep takeoffs, at least for a while, until I determine they won't get used by me, then make an effort to sell them. Although, I still have a set of JK steel wheels with TPMS that I took off my '12 Sport that I tried to sell as soon as I took them off, but no luck...they're still sitting in my workshop.

If you have the space, keep the wheels and wheels only. Sell the tires. Tires are made from an organic compound that will break down over time (whether they see the road or not). Rubber does dryrot and become weaker over time. There's a date on the tire when it was manufactured (week/year). There's debate over how long a tire should be good for (some say 8 years, some say 10, some say more). But I would advise against leaving the tires in your garage or basement for 10 years and try to use them after that. In my opinion its not worth having a blow out to save some money. That's I why I would recommend selling them now if they are new (or relatively new) and have value. Just something else to think about.

Reactions: bobthetj03